Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Andyd

Default Recommendations for new tree near septic drain field?

We have an enormous, very tall, Mamosa (sp?) tree in our yard that has
been dying bit by bit, and now half of the tree has just died, so I
think I am going to just take down the entire thing. Much to my
wife's chagrin.

Anyway, I wondered if people had recommendations for replacements.
Like I said, this was/is a huge mamosa, probably 30' tall, 40' spread,
so there is plenty of space availale. My wife mentioned Pecan, but I
don't know how one would do. The particulars on my yard- we are on a
hillside, the yard is a flattened out area where the septic drain
field is located, so the tree would be right next to the drain field.
Are we better off not introducing another tree with potentiall
invasive roots to the drain field? Or does it matter? I have heard
that mamosa's are pretty bad about invasive roots, so perhaps if it
didn't cause any problems we won't have any??? My other thoughts are
live oak, perhaps just some c.myrtle's. Someone else mentioned Burr
Oak. Jeez, so many choices.

Thanks.

andyd

adonnelly at austin dot rr dot com
Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Katra

In article ,
Andyd wrote:

[...]

How about several fruit trees. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
dt

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Andyd wrote:

[...]

You know, I'd thought about planting fruit trees near the drain field.

ALL of my non-gardening friends said, "EEEeeuuuuuuuwwwwww!"

DT

Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
dt wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Andyd wrote:

[...]

rolls eyes What they don't know won't hurt them..... ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
WSZsr

Bur Oak. Very nice tree with very few problems. A native of Texas.

http://tinyurl.com/3y53j

Old 08-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Ted Scherbel

"WSZsr" wrote in
:

"Andyd" wrote in message
We have an enormous, very tall, Mamosa (sp?) tree in our yard that
has been dying bit by bit, and now half of the tree has just died, so

? I
have heard that mamosa's are pretty bad about invasive roots, so
perhaps if it didn't cause any problems we won't have any??? My
other thoughts are live oak, perhaps just some c.myrtle's. Someone
else mentioned Burr Oak. Jeez, so many choices.

Thanks.

andyd

adonnelly at austin dot rr dot com

I agree, a Bur oak works in my lateral line and it's a fast grower.
I also have a Pistache which is doing great there.

Ted

--
testing signatu
scherbe6
Old 16-07-2004, 05:07 AM
ddodd

Weeping Willows will suck up all the moisture from your drain field. A
corkscrew Willow has more interesting leaves.

Old 27-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Cindy

How about several fruit trees. :-)

You know, I'd thought about planting fruit trees near the drain field.

ALL of my non-gardening friends said, "EEEeeuuuuuuuwwwwww!"

DT

WHAT, they don't garden OR eat??

Cindy

Old 27-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Cindy

ddodd wrote:
Weeping Willows will suck up all the moisture from your drain field. A
corkscrew Willow has more interesting leaves.

Don't weeping willows have invasive roots that can plug or damage sewer
lines?

Cindy