Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Nasmen

Default Fruit trees need summer care for best yield

Big Red Delicious. The ripe fruit really is red... all over! And
remember Red's cousin: Golden Yellow Delicious. In my opinion, the
almost perfect apple with its crisp, extra-juicy flavor and its
suitability for storage.

Granny Smith. The apple with the bright green skin and tangy, tart
flavor. By the way, there really WAS a Granny Smith. Mary Ann Smith
was an Australian gardener who died in 1870 and developed the fruit
that bears her name from the seeds of a French Crab apple.
BRBR

I thought I'd jump in here. I can't disagree with anything Steve said, but I'd
like to add my thoughts.

I live in Ohio, and Granny Smith in Ohio is only reliable close to the Ohio
River due to it's long growing system. Check to see if you have a long enough
growing season before planting this cultivar.

A matter of taste. I don't like Deicious (Red Delicious). I'd suggest in it's
place Gala or Jonagold, they both have much more flavor in a sweet apple.

For a tangy apple, I'd suggest Melrose. I think it's one of the best all
purpose apples out there. Other choices in this catagory would be Jonathan or
many of the MacIntosh types. Liberty is a particularly good Mac type in that it
is immune to apple scab.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my Mother's favorite cooking apple: Grimes
golden. I have to grow at least two dwaf trees of Grimes to meet her demand!

John Schmid