Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 AM
simy1

Default Cauliflower & broccoli - second heads?

DigitalVinyl wrote in message . ..
I'm growing these for the first time this year. I've got some great
big plants. I just harvested the broccoli and the first two
cauliflower. Cauliflower was harvested late--heads started to spread
at the edge and some .. uhm, popped--not sure how to desribed the
change.

the heads "split" (and became inferior tasting). I have long given up
doing brassicas in the summer. they are a natural fall crop. collards
can grow through the summer, because they don't head, and of course
long season cabbages and brussles sprouts which need the time, but
that's it. the time to plant broccoli and short season cabbages in
zone 6 is right now.