Old 07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Splitting Daylillies

From: "Bobby Baxter"

I would wait until after they are done blooming. Cut them back to 8" to
12". Then dig them, divide them, and plant back the ones you want. Compost
the rest or give them to anyone that wants them near you. You might want to
keep them watered regularly for a few weeks after you replant them.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

I wish I could wait, but this is the only opportunity I have so they're going
to have to just deal with it. I know this isn't going to kill them, just
perhaps stunt their blooming.

As far as "or give them to anyone that wants them near you," I've run out of
takers... LOL - If daylily propogation was a crime I'd be doing 25 to life.
It's gotten to the point where when people see me coming with plants they bring
their children and pets into the house and pretend they're not home.

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
My standard ditch lillies are in full bloom right now, and, as usual the

other
variety I have (more of a deep red fading into orange) which are a bit

shorter
and have slightly finer leaves are exactly one step behind.

About 8 years ago I planted 20 "pockets" along my backyard fence with

about a
dozen of these lillies in each. Now there's about 100-120 plants in each
pocket. Since I have time off now, I'm forced to do the splitting I had

hoped
I could put off until after the bloom.

I'll re-plant about 20 back again into each of their original places, like

originally did 8 years ago with loads of rich pure homemade leaf compost.

I was
wondering if I should hack the replanted plants back down to the ground,

leaves
flower stalks and all, or simply allow them to re-establish.

TIA