Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Splitting Daylillies

My standard ditch lillies are in full bloom right now, and, as usual the other
variety I have (more of a deep red fading into orange) which are a bit shorter
and have slightly finer leaves are exactly one step behind.

About 8 years ago I planted 20 "pockets" along my backyard fence with about a
dozen of these lillies in each. Now there's about 100-120 plants in each
pocket. Since I have time off now, I'm forced to do the splitting I had hoped
I could put off until after the bloom.

I'll re-plant about 20 back again into each of their original places, like I
originally did 8 years ago with loads of rich pure homemade leaf compost. I was
wondering if I should hack the replanted plants back down to the ground, leaves
flower stalks and all, or simply allow them to re-establish.

TIA
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Bobby Baxter

I would wait until after they are done blooming. Cut them back to 8" to
12". Then dig them, divide them, and plant back the ones you want. Compost
the rest or give them to anyone that wants them near you. You might want to
keep them watered regularly for a few weeks after you replant them.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

Old 07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
HA HA Budys Here

From: "Bobby Baxter"

I would wait until after they are done blooming. Cut them back to 8" to
12". Then dig them, divide them, and plant back the ones you want. Compost
the rest or give them to anyone that wants them near you. You might want to
keep them watered regularly for a few weeks after you replant them.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

I wish I could wait, but this is the only opportunity I have so they're going
to have to just deal with it. I know this isn't going to kill them, just
perhaps stunt their blooming.

As far as "or give them to anyone that wants them near you," I've run out of
takers... LOL - If daylily propogation was a crime I'd be doing 25 to life.
It's gotten to the point where when people see me coming with plants they bring
their children and pets into the house and pretend they're not home.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Vox Humana

From: "Bobby Baxter"

[...]

People will buy damn near anything on Ebay.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 PM
HA HA Budys Here

From: "Vox Humana"

From: "Bobby Baxter"

[...]

Actually, part of my pressing "need" other than timing is that I have a
boardwalk area in my backyard which remains in full shade until late spring
when the sun is higher in the sky. Perrenials like Black-eyed Susan didn't
survive and neither did some more shade-tolerants, so I've decided to locate
these "nicer" variety of daylilly there.

I just finished planting about 20 "groups" of 6-8 each with at least 2 buds
ready to open. Gave them a shot of Miracle-gro and it's supposed to rain
tonight... we'll see what happens. I actually staked them and tied them up so
they won't "flop" over - looks pretty rediculious considering the hardiness of
the plant but I don't want them falling onto the walkway and looking like a
mess.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM
GrampysGurl

As far as "or give them to anyone that wants them near you," I've run out of
takers... LOL - If daylily propogation was a crime I'd be doing 25 to life.
It's gotten to the point where when people see me coming with plants they
bring
their children and pets into the house and pretend they're not home.

Wish you were my neighbor lol. I moved this past March and though had my plants
in the disclosure I wasn't able to find many of them and had to start over from
scratch. I have 2 neighbors about to move, I am thinking of asking if I can
raid their beds first. I had to leave behind many of my wildflowers and a good
number of my daylilies :::sniff:::
Colleen
zone 5 CT
Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Mike Prager

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

I was
wondering if I should hack the replanted plants back down to the ground, leaves
flower stalks and all, or simply allow them to re-establish.

I wouldn't hack them back if any of the growing season
remains. The leaves will allow them to make more food. Water
generously to help make up for the root loss, inevitable when
you divide.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

[IMG] code is On

Odds-n-Ends - Daylillies-Native-2.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 19-04-2009 09:40 PM
Daylillies CarolinaLuna North Carolina 0 13-11-2005 06:37 PM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
mystery Daylillies (part deux) antonious Gardening 10 29-06-2003 06:44 AM
daylillies from root Jessica Gardening 6 18-04-2003 12:56 AM