Old 07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Cauliflower & broccoli - second heads?

(FarmerDill) wrote:

Broccoli forms side shoots where the leaves attach to the stem. How big and how
many depends on the cultivar. Cauliflower, one head that's all. There may be a
few exceptions but it would be exceptional.

I just went to pull the cauliflowers and two of them has grown
entirely new shoots from the bottom of the main stem. This new plant
is distinct form the big head of leaves I just harvested. One was
already branching out into multiple stems and started forming its own
cluster of leaves. Is this common? Would I get just leaves and no
head. I know these plants are already well established so I'm
wondering if I should cut away the big leaves and leave the stem and
its new flower of leaves for fall.

I bought these as starters in Home Depot so I have no reliable variety
info.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html