Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Nasmen

Default Fruit trees need summer care for best yield

greenings are winter hardy at least to zone 5. these were our cooking
apples as long
as I can remember. for eating I love both cortlands, winesaps and spys. there
is a
newer one out, honey something that is quite good. BRBR

I've heard of Greenings, but have no experience with them. Cortland is a member
of the MacIntosh family, famous because it doesn't brown as much as other
apples when it is cut.

You are probably thinking of Honeycrisp. It is a wonderful eating apple, and
yes I do have one in my plantings. It has many problems for the grower,
however. It has a nutrition problem that causes it's leaves to get blotchy
yellowish patches. Perhaps this is why it practally stops growing when it
starts to crop. It's very easy for the tree to "runt out" if it's not thinned
heavily. There are also problems in holding the fruit in cold storage, perhaps
not a problem for home growers. It's a good enough apple, though, that a lot of
research is going into trying to overcome it's problems.

John Schmid

John C. Schmid