Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Splitting Daylillies

From: "Vox Humana"

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
From: "Bobby Baxter"

I would wait until after they are done blooming. Cut them back to 8" to
12". Then dig them, divide them, and plant back the ones you want.

Compost
the rest or give them to anyone that wants them near you. You might want

keep them watered regularly for a few weeks after you replant them.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

I wish I could wait, but this is the only opportunity I have so they're

going
to have to just deal with it. I know this isn't going to kill them, just
perhaps stunt their blooming.

As far as "or give them to anyone that wants them near you," I've run out

of
takers... LOL - If daylily propogation was a crime I'd be doing 25 to

life.
It's gotten to the point where when people see me coming with plants they

bring
their children and pets into the house and pretend they're not home.

People will buy damn near anything on Ebay.

Actually, part of my pressing "need" other than timing is that I have a
boardwalk area in my backyard which remains in full shade until late spring
when the sun is higher in the sky. Perrenials like Black-eyed Susan didn't
survive and neither did some more shade-tolerants, so I've decided to locate
these "nicer" variety of daylilly there.

I just finished planting about 20 "groups" of 6-8 each with at least 2 buds
ready to open. Gave them a shot of Miracle-gro and it's supposed to rain
tonight... we'll see what happens. I actually staked them and tied them up so
they won't "flop" over - looks pretty rediculious considering the hardiness of
the plant but I don't want them falling onto the walkway and looking like a
mess.