Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default Peonies didn't make it this year

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

.. .
"Mary" wrote in message
om...
This was a bad year for my perennials! My peonies--which bloomed
terrificly for several years--got as far as forming a tall bud, but
the still closed bud just browned and died. Shall I take it these
won't come back for future seasons? Thanks.

Peonies can get fungal diseases like botrytis that will kill the buds.

If
the rest of the plant is still alive, then I would clean up the area now

and
again in early winter to get rid of any infected plant material.

Thank you!

I had this happen with some new peonies. They would form buds, but then
turn brown. Last year I got one flower on one plant. This year all three
of mine bloomed and had multiple flowers. I wouldn't give up on them.
Peonies are long-lived perennials and are tough as nails. If fungal disease
is suspected, you can try to improve the air circulation, observe good
sanitation by removing any diseased materials, clear other plants away, and
avoid watering the foliage in the evening.