Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Mary

Default Peonies didn't make it this year

This was a bad year for my perennials! My peonies--which bloomed
terrificly for several years--got as far as forming a tall bud, but
the still closed bud just browned and died. Shall I take it these
won't come back for future seasons? Thanks.

Mary
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
This was a bad year for my perennials! My peonies--which bloomed
terrificly for several years--got as far as forming a tall bud, but
the still closed bud just browned and died. Shall I take it these
won't come back for future seasons? Thanks.

Peonies can get fungal diseases like botrytis that will kill the buds. If
the rest of the plant is still alive, then I would clean up the area now and
again in early winter to get rid of any infected plant material.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

.. .
"Mary" wrote in message
om...
This was a bad year for my perennials! My peonies--which bloomed
terrificly for several years--got as far as forming a tall bud, but
the still closed bud just browned and died. Shall I take it these
won't come back for future seasons? Thanks.

Peonies can get fungal diseases like botrytis that will kill the buds.

If
the rest of the plant is still alive, then I would clean up the area now

and
again in early winter to get rid of any infected plant material.

Thank you!

I had this happen with some new peonies. They would form buds, but then
turn brown. Last year I got one flower on one plant. This year all three
of mine bloomed and had multiple flowers. I wouldn't give up on them.
Peonies are long-lived perennials and are tough as nails. If fungal disease
is suspected, you can try to improve the air circulation, observe good
sanitation by removing any diseased materials, clear other plants away, and
avoid watering the foliage in the evening.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:03 PM

sigh. I have been taking care of the peonies next door, first for the old man who
has died (with his permission) and then for the people bought the house across the
street. well he started to rehab the house and then stopped. he lets the grass get
long and then came over and whacked the shit out of everything, including whacking
the most gorgeous stand of hollyhock, which was the talk of the neighborhood to the
ground. he also whacked the only beautiful white peony to the ground. will it come
back? Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 11-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
sigh. I have been taking care of the peonies next door, first for the old

man who
has died (with his permission) and then for the people bought the house

across the
street. well he started to rehab the house and then stopped. he lets the

grass get
long and then came over and whacked the shit out of everything, including

whacking
the most gorgeous stand of hollyhock, which was the talk of the

neighborhood to the
ground. he also whacked the only beautiful white peony to the ground.

will it come
back? Ingrid

The year before last I accidentally cut off one of my peonies with an
electrical cord. It came back just fine the next year and bloomed.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 AM

phew... I am so relieved. I am going to have DH have a chat with the guy. The guy
is a one of those people smiling all the time that I dont trust but my DH is very
diplomatic. I am going to have DH tell the idiot that when I saw the peony was
whacked I burst into tears and cried because I have great feeling for "old things"
and that peony is around 100 years old (actually I have no idea at all but it sounds
good). That if he doesnt want that peony there or any of the others I will dig them
up in fall and move them. But please dont cut them to the ground again. Maybe that
will move him?
INgrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

You know, peonies make those little buds in the fall at the top of the
tuber. I'll bet if you checked gently with your fingers, you'd find some
little "nubbins" there already. Peonies have thick tuberous roots, which
give them great survival ability.