Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Nettle soup - does it go off ?

About a year or so ago my fella made some nettle soup - the garden feeding
kind - at the house he lived in then. He has since moved out but remains
friendly with the landlady, as they were both gardeners. However, she wants
him to finally come and remove the evil smelling ick that he left in two
rain barrels !

He wants to bring it over to my garden and feed my toms and peppers with it,
as where he lives now has no garden to speak of (if he wants to put that
stuff in his car, even sealed in a suitable vessel - well, I wouldn't want
to just in case it exploded or something, considering the age of this stuff
;-) ). I know most things benefit from nettle goodness and have fed two week
old nettle soup to them before in the past but - I am wary that after such a
long time that the stuff in the barrels might have gone over or become so
evil that it might kill my plants stone dead, even with suitable watering
down !
Is older better, as with a fine wine, or is year and a half old nettle ick
just too much ? Apart from having to issue the neighbors and my poor dogs
with gasmasks as a precaution, I can't imagine how this stuff must pong by
now ... it was a fairly truculent little number when it was first made as I
(and my roses who benefited from some of it then) recall.

Any thoughts ?

Rachael