Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Nettle soup - does it go off ?

About a year or so ago my fella made some nettle soup - the garden feeding
kind - at the house he lived in then. He has since moved out but remains
friendly with the landlady, as they were both gardeners. However, she wants
him to finally come and remove the evil smelling ick that he left in two
rain barrels !

He wants to bring it over to my garden and feed my toms and peppers with it,
as where he lives now has no garden to speak of (if he wants to put that
stuff in his car, even sealed in a suitable vessel - well, I wouldn't want
to just in case it exploded or something, considering the age of this stuff
;-) ). I know most things benefit from nettle goodness and have fed two week
old nettle soup to them before in the past but - I am wary that after such a
long time that the stuff in the barrels might have gone over or become so
evil that it might kill my plants stone dead, even with suitable watering
down !
Is older better, as with a fine wine, or is year and a half old nettle ick
just too much ? Apart from having to issue the neighbors and my poor dogs
with gasmasks as a precaution, I can't imagine how this stuff must pong by
now ... it was a fairly truculent little number when it was first made as I
(and my roses who benefited from some of it then) recall.

Any thoughts ?

Rachael

Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 PM
David Hill

I just wonder if you should serve Nettle soup with crotons?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 11-07-2004, 09:03 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message
I just wonder if you should serve Nettle soup with crotons?

Only if you put 'em at the last minute, else they go soggy.

Rachael

Old 15-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Joe Fogey" wrote in message
I've not tried this with nettle soup. but I feed lots of things with
year-old comfrey tea. Try it in a weak solution and see how it goes.

I reckon I'll try it on the hardy buggers like my parsley and basil first
and see then (they seem to grow without any help from me, especially the
parsley, and even the dogs eating it doesn't seem to discourage it at all).
I'd hate to put paid to my tomatoes so I think I'll wait with those until I
see what happens - I've never grown them before and am still fascinated by
the little green orbs. I feel very fond of them !

Rachael

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Mike Lyle

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
I just wonder if you should serve Nettle soup with crotons?

Grown as a bold focal point in your potager, no doubt. Fruit composte to follow?

Mike.

Old 16-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Alan Gould

In article ,
writes

I've been reading this as Nestle Soup.

Hot chocolate? ;-)

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-07-2004, 02:19 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:19:31 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article ,
writes

I've been reading this as Nestle Soup.