Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Jim Carlock

Default Roses and Black Spot

The person that posted seems to be in NY. I'll let him or her
indicate that though. I only looked at the header to the message
that he or she posted.

I'll leave the expert advice up to others. I am good at research
and learning from the research. The following website indicates
that chives have long been planted next to roses. They only
seem to hint that it helps deter certain pests and attract other
certain pests. Some links that suggest companion planting
for roses include:

http://www.bestgardening.co.nz/bgc/p...osescare01.htm
http://www.oldrose.info/khome97/compa-e.htm
http://hortweb.cas.psu.edu/extension...bs/chives.html

Searching for:

chives "black spot" roses

on google turns up 382 links. And those are from the first ten
links presented. :-)

I have some roses out front that had black spot on them. I'll
have to wait until next year to see if the chives help, as I just
put in the seed. I tried to grow chives earlier this year but for
some reason none of the seeds germinated. Maybe the soil is
too rich ?

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

"Sunflower" wrote:
"Jim Carlock" wrote:
Somewhere, I have recently read that planting chives next to
roses will control the black spot. I don't know how true this
is, but unless someone else indicates negatively, it might be
worth a try.

*Some* studies have shown that planting garlic chives next to roses will
deter spider mites. It does nothing to prevent fungal infections. Black
spot is mostly carried over and reproduces from lesions on the canes, so no
method that doesn't involve coating the canes and leaves with some substance
will stand a chance of working as a preventative.