Old 09-07-2004, 12:02 AM
wayne crimi

Default Roses and Black Spot

I am having a chronic problem with my Rosebushes.

I bought an extremely healthy looking one last year and noticed a problem
with the leaves after a few weeks. I was new to gardening so I didn't act
right away. When it got worse I did some research and concluded it was black
spot. I bought a spray and followed the instructions for the remainder of
the summer.

It survived the winter, but did not come back this year nearly as healthy
and full as when I bought it. Several weeks into the spring I noticed the
problem again. I acted on the very first day (I was monitoring the
situation daily). Despite repeated spraying and removal of the lower level
problem leaves, it continued to spread upward. Right now I am looking at
what is essentially a leafless rosebush. It is clearly still alive because
the branches remain green, but things don't look good.

I bought a second one this year and the same problem occurred with it after
about a month DESPITE preventative spraying. I suspect I am looking at a
repeat performance with this and I am not optimistic about the survival of
the other.

Any insights at all as top what may be causing the problem and what I can do
about it would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Andre

"wayne crimi" wrote in message
I am having a chronic problem with my Rosebushes.

I am trying this organic recipe from Rose Magazine this weekend for my
blackspot:

http://www.rosemagazine.com/articles...sediseases.asp

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Jim Carlock

Somewhere, I have recently read that planting chives next to
roses will control the black spot. I don't know how true this
is, but unless someone else indicates negatively, it might be
worth a try.

--
Jim
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Sunflower

[...]

Some roses are more succeptible to disease than others. Some climates
provide more disease pressure than others. Some winters are more challenging
for roses than others. Some fungicides are more effective than others. No
fungicide will eradicate black spot once it has a foothold on your rose.
Fungicides are preventatives only. The best method to control black spot is
to purchase varieties that are not prone to it and get rid of ones that are.
Roses that look healthy at a nursery have been sprayed to prevent disease,
and I wouldn't trust 99% of most nurseries to know which varieties would
work well in a no spray situation. The best source of varietal
recommendation would be a local rose society, but even then a list will be
biased towards those who spray regularly and describe a bush as "disease
resistant" WITH spraying. That's BS as far as I'm concerned. "Disease
resistant" to me means it will retain at least 60% of it's foliage when left
unsprayed, or has an extremely rapid recovery rate if it loses all of it's
foliage. But, I'm in MS, the hot and humid capital of the South, and
growing roses here is very challenging because of the constant fungal
pressures. In a shorter growing season or some place with less heat and
humidity, disease resistant varieties might be ones that keep their foliage
till frost.

Which varieties are you growing? Where are you located? Which fungicides
have you used and when have you used them? How much spring pruning did you
do, or were forced to do by Mother Nature?

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Sunflower

"Andre" wrote in message

"wayne crimi" wrote in message
I am having a chronic problem with my Rosebushes.

I am trying this organic recipe from Rose Magazine this weekend for my
blackspot:

http://www.rosemagazine.com/articles...sediseases.asp

Only the baking soda will work as a fungal preventative, and only against
powdery mildew. It won't touch black spot. In fact, the whole thing is
something of a joke.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Sunflower

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
.. .
Somewhere, I have recently read that planting chives next to
roses will control the black spot. I don't know how true this
is, but unless someone else indicates negatively, it might be
worth a try.

--
*Some* studies have shown that planting garlic chives next to roses will

deter spider mites. It does nothing to prevent fungal infections. Black
spot is mostly carried over and reproduces from lesions on the canes, so no
method that doesn't involve coating the canes and leaves with some substance
will stand a chance of working as a preventative.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Jim Carlock

The person that posted seems to be in NY. I'll let him or her
indicate that though. I only looked at the header to the message
that he or she posted.

I'll leave the expert advice up to others. I am good at research
and learning from the research. The following website indicates
that chives have long been planted next to roses. They only
seem to hint that it helps deter certain pests and attract other
certain pests. Some links that suggest companion planting
for roses include:

http://www.bestgardening.co.nz/bgc/p...osescare01.htm
http://www.oldrose.info/khome97/compa-e.htm
http://hortweb.cas.psu.edu/extension...bs/chives.html

Searching for:

chives "black spot" roses

on google turns up 382 links. And those are from the first ten
links presented. :-)

I have some roses out front that had black spot on them. I'll
have to wait until next year to see if the chives help, as I just
put in the seed. I tried to grow chives earlier this year but for
some reason none of the seeds germinated. Maybe the soil is
too rich ?

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

Old 09-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Phisherman

Spring prevention goes a long way. Keep roses pruned for appearance
and better air circulation. Never get the leaves wet. If black spot
appears, it is usually too late to use fungicide treatments but you
can heavily prune the rose bush (and discard the clippings in the
trash). You may want to replace your roses with types that are
resistant to fungus. Roses require a lot of maintenance.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Phisherman wrote:

Spring prevention goes a long way. Keep roses pruned for appearance
and better air circulation. Never get the leaves wet. If black spot
appears, it is usually too late to use fungicide treatments but you
can heavily prune the rose bush (and discard the clippings in the
trash). You may want to replace your roses with types that are
resistant to fungus. Roses require a lot of maintenance.

I have roses at the head of each row in my vineyard. I spray them the same
time I spray the vines. I normally use both sulphur and Penncozeb at the
rate of:
Sulphur - at rate of 3.84 oz per 4 gallon packpack spray tank
Penncozeb - at rate of 2.56 oz per 4 gallon backpack spran tank

If you don't have a lot of roses, you could just just adjust for half a
backpack tank etc.

You can also use Ziram in place of the Penncozeb or Tenncop (a Copper
fungicide) in place of the Sulphur.

If you already have a black spot problem, you might consider using a
systemic such as Nova at the rate of about 5 grams per back pack spray
tank.

The Sulphur and Copper will do nothing for the black spot but they are good
for powderly mildew which Penncozeb or Ziram are not too good at
controlling.

[IMG] code is On

Black Spot on Roses Near Berries Warren Gardening 5 01-06-2004 02:05 AM
Good climbing roses in Los Angeles (actually on black spot fungicide) Mark. Gooley Roses 0 09-11-2003 11:02 PM
roses - black spot on leaves..white spots on roses? DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 25-06-2003 06:08 PM
Black Spot on roses Luke Australia 4 04-05-2003 11:20 PM
Black spot on roses Joe Blow Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:34 AM