Old 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
William W. Plummer

Default Good ground cover needed

Steveo wrote:

"The Data Rat" wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
news:fkmHc.44659$MB3.26930@attbi_s04...

Lori Hunt wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to find a good groundcover for a hillside in SE
Tennessee.

How about crown vetch? You can plant it by seed, Blooms in the spring,
and is ever green. The highway department has been using it on the
slopes of over passes because it is cheap, reseeds itself and is
maintenance free. It is stunning in the spring.

Good suggestion with one exception. Vetch is -really- aggressive so it
doesn't play nice with other plants. Weed b gone will control it
in your lawn tho. Very hardy, like data said.

I agree. Crown Vetch is a weed. A whole field of it is impressive
from afar, but it is tall and straggly. I don't think of it as a ground
cover but rather, a space filler. Highway departments use it to
stabilize the soil so it won't wash away in a storm and because they
don't have to cut it.