Old 08-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Lori Hunt

Default Good ground cover needed

Hello,

I am trying to find a good groundcover for a hillside in SE Tennessee.
I have a very steep hillside for a front yard, and I'd like to find
some plant that will grow there and look nice, not require mowing, and
is not kudzu.

I'm considering sweet potato vines, but would be receptive to ideas
for other stuff, too. Low maitenance would be a good thing.

My husband just had an incident with the mower sliding off the
hillside, so we're thinking of alternatives to grass growing there
before he breaks something.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lori
Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 AM
William W. Plummer

Lori Hunt wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to find a good groundcover for a hillside in SE Tennessee.
I have a very steep hillside for a front yard, and I'd like to find
some plant that will grow there and look nice, not require mowing, and
is not kudzu.

I'm considering sweet potato vines, but would be receptive to ideas
for other stuff, too. Low maitenance would be a good thing.

My husband just had an incident with the mower sliding off the
hillside, so we're thinking of alternatives to grass growing there
before he breaks something.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lori

There are many good ground covers. Pachysandra, bearberry, vinca, sweet
woodruff. I like the woodruff because you can use it for Maiwein --
add to Riesling and add strawberries,in May.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:03 AM
The Data Rat

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
Lori Hunt wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to find a good groundcover for a hillside in SE Tennessee.

How about crown vetch? You can plant it by seed, Blooms in the spring, and
is ever green. The highway department has been using it on the slopes of
over passes because it is cheap, reseeds itself and is maintenance free. It
is stunning in the spring.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Steveo

Lori Hunt wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to find a good groundcover for a hillside in SE
Tennessee.

How about crown vetch? You can plant it by seed, Blooms in the spring,
and is ever green. The highway department has been using it on the
slopes of over passes because it is cheap, reseeds itself and is
maintenance free. It is stunning in the spring.

Good suggestion with one exception. Vetch is -really- aggressive so it
doesn't play nice with other plants. Weed b gone will control it
in your lawn tho. Very hardy, like data said.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
William W. Plummer

Lori Hunt wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to find a good groundcover for a hillside in SE
Tennessee.

How about crown vetch? You can plant it by seed, Blooms in the spring,
and is ever green. The highway department has been using it on the
slopes of over passes because it is cheap, reseeds itself and is
maintenance free. It is stunning in the spring.

Good suggestion with one exception. Vetch is -really- aggressive so it
doesn't play nice with other plants. Weed b gone will control it
in your lawn tho. Very hardy, like data said.

I agree. Crown Vetch is a weed. A whole field of it is impressive
from afar, but it is tall and straggly. I don't think of it as a ground
cover but rather, a space filler. Highway departments use it to
stabilize the soil so it won't wash away in a storm and because they
don't have to cut it.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Lori Hunt

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:00:10 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

Highway departments use it to
stabilize the soil so it won't wash away in a storm and because they
don't have to cut it.

That's what my husband is looking for, but that sounds too much like
kudzu to me.

Unfortunately, the hill we are looking to cover has very poor soil and
gets sun all day long. We need something aggressive that won't wash
away. We've thought about mixing some good top soil in with it, but
it's a large, steep area and the soil would say "bye-bye" with the
next rainfall.

I've done some google searches on what's been suggested so far, and
those have led to a variety of plants. One that I'm looking at is
called dragon's blood red sedum. Does anyone have any experience with
that? What I've found out about it is that it works wll with poor
soil and grows quickly, and gets denser with more sun. Works for me,
but I don't know anything about it other than what I've read and would
like to hear from somebody who's actually played with it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Lori
Old 11-07-2004, 04:05 PM

We had a very steep incline in our front yard in Pittsburgh.
We planted English Ivy. It did great...we planted them about 12"
apart, and the area was fully covered the following year.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Heidi the Horrible

Crown Vetch....
//////////////////////////////////
That's what my husband is looking for, but that sounds too much like
kudzu to me.

No, not at all. Kudzu is ugly and doesn't prevent errosion and goes dormant
to a nasty brown in winter. Vetch can be very nice. It is difficult to
establish but is bullet-proof and spreads like crazy once it does.

This fall, I would kill everything on the hillside and plant crown vetch
mixed with annual rye grass. The rye will grow and establish quickly into a
nice yard. Next May or so, the rye will begin to die and the vetch will
take over.

Vetch blooms nicely about June 1 in TN and lasts until about July 15.
Then if you mow/weed-eat it afte ther blooms fade, it will bloom again for
another month or so.

Vetch does not need good soil or fertilizer and you'll get plenty of rain
naturally for it.. I grow it in creeks, on steep hills and in rocky soil.

In my creek, the vetch is crowding out all the brush and crap that I had
to clear twice a year.

I love the stuff...but people do think I'm crazy.

Unfortunately, the hill we are looking to cover has very poor soil and
gets sun all day long. We need something aggressive that won't wash
away.

Perfect for vetch !

We've thought about mixing some good top soil in with it, but
it's a large, steep area and the soil would say "bye-bye" with the
next rainfall.

Vetch likes bad soil just fine.

Gook luck.

Old 13-07-2004, 01:03 PM
john

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:26:02 -0400, "Heidi the Horrible"
wrote:

Crown Vetch....
//////////////////////////////////
[...]

This sounds exactly like a 50 degree hill I'm trying to figure out
what to do with in my backyard. however, the area runs right along my
neighbor's grass for about 25 feet or so. I was going to just put in
a treated 4x4 demark on the lot line, but if the vetch is so
pervasive, will it be easy to keep it from getting into my neighbor's
yard?

Thanks for any info

John

Old 13-07-2004, 02:03 PM
William W. Plummer

john wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:26:02 -0400, "Heidi the Horrible"
wrote:

Crown Vetch....
//////////////////////////////////

[...]

You might want to check that. I believe Crown Vetch wants dry soil and
Purple Loosestrife is a similar looking plant that grows (invasily) in
water.

Old 13-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Steveo

john wrote:
but if the vetch is so
pervasive, will it be easy to keep it from getting into my neighbor's
yard?

You can control it with weed b gone, in the lawn. I wouldn't put vetch
near a raised bed or landscape tho, without preparing to control it.

Great idea for your hill btw.