Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
rosie read and post

Default plants for a slope

david,
do you have any suggestions for those of us with a much steeper
slope?

--
-----The Kerry Convention Speech We Need to Hear-----

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
news : If you simply want a monoculture groundcover, tried and true
traditional
: choices include Vinca, Pachysandra, Virginia Creeper, Sweet
Woodruff, and
: Climbing Hydrangea (just guide the trunks along the ground rather
than up
: trees and other structures.)
:
: Dave
:
: "rickm" wrote in message
: ...
: I'm in the process of clearing off a rather untamed slope behind
my
: house (we're on the upside of the slope). This area had lots of
privet
: and even more wild grape. All of the privet is gone and I'm
slowly
: removing the wild grape.
:
: The area faces east, we're in zone 7 (asheville, nc). It gets
light
: shade in the morning, no sun at high noon, then some sun in the
: afternoon until the house gets in the way and blocks it. The
slope is
: roughly 45 degrees. On the top of the slope are a few walnut
trees, on
: the bottom is my wife's shade garden. Some bamboo grass looking
stuff
: has moved into one of the areas (hey, it's green!) but I'd like
: cover this with something that will help to stabilize it.
:
: I was considering ivy but I don't want anything to take over the
: trees. Something that spreads would be nice especially if it's
not
: invasive. There is kudzu down the street, but I'm saving that
for
: someone else's yard.
:
: Thanks,