Old 10-07-2004, 03:03 PM
rickm

Default plants for a slope

I'm in the process of clearing off a rather untamed slope behind my
house (we're on the upside of the slope). This area had lots of privet
and even more wild grape. All of the privet is gone and I'm slowly
removing the wild grape.

The area faces east, we're in zone 7 (asheville, nc). It gets light
shade in the morning, no sun at high noon, then some sun in the
afternoon until the house gets in the way and blocks it. The slope is
roughly 45 degrees. On the top of the slope are a few walnut trees, on
the bottom is my wife's shade garden. Some bamboo grass looking stuff
has moved into one of the areas (hey, it's green!) but I'd like to
cover this with something that will help to stabilize it.

I was considering ivy but I don't want anything to take over the
trees. Something that spreads would be nice especially if it's not
invasive. There is kudzu down the street, but I'm saving that for
someone else's yard.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Jim Schott

We have a garden on a slope (about 45 degrees) and it drove us crazy with
the run-offs whenever it rained.
Luckily, I found a "pro" gardener who suggested to work cocoa shell into the
soil. Over time (about a year), the cocao mulch took hold. It's a great
ground cover (no weeds) and it can rain all day without a bit of runofff.

The only problem is the cost: For us, we have a 30'x40' (1200 sq ft) garden
and we need to mulch the entire garden twice a year. That costs about $40
each time, or $80 a year. But the stuff really works. You can grow
anything on a slope by using this for your mulch. Only one cute problem:
your garden will smell like a gigantic hershey candy bar until it rains once
or twice!

Jim

Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
David J Bockman

If you simply want a monoculture groundcover, tried and true traditional
choices include Vinca, Pachysandra, Virginia Creeper, Sweet Woodruff, and
Climbing Hydrangea (just guide the trunks along the ground rather than up
trees and other structures.)

Dave

Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
rosie read and post

david,
do you have any suggestions for those of us with a much steeper
slope?

--
-----The Kerry Convention Speech We Need to Hear-----

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
news : If you simply want a monoculture groundcover, tried and true
traditional
: choices include Vinca, Pachysandra, Virginia Creeper, Sweet
Woodruff, and
: Climbing Hydrangea (just guide the trunks along the ground rather
than up
: trees and other structures.)
:
: Dave
:
: ...

Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
paghat

For very steep slopes difficult to water:

Prostrate types of cotoneasters.

Cultivars of scotch broom (not, of course, invasive wild brooms).

Dwarf English ivies (not invasive regular ivy).

Boston ivy.

Algerian ivy.

Akebia.

Thornless caning berry cultivars.

Climbing roses.

Mexican evening primroses & shrub sages & succulent ice plant (if slope is
in fullest sun).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 10-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Marcy Hege

That benign looking bamboo grass that has started in the corner of your yard is
the grass equivalent of kudzu, very invasive. Known as Japanese stilt grass,
it's botanical name is microstegium. It can be pulled rather easily now but
don't wait too long since it seeds in late August/September and seeds are
viable for seven years. This article will give you lots of info:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/mivi1.htm

As for plants for the slope, you may have problems since many plants don't like
to grown under/around roots of walnut trees.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:02 PM
rickm

Marcy Hege wrote:
That benign looking bamboo grass that has started in the corner of your yard is
the grass equivalent of kudzu, very invasive. Known as Japanese stilt grass,
it's botanical name is microstegium. It can be pulled rather easily now but
don't wait too long since it seeds in late August/September and seeds are
viable for seven years. This article will give you lots of info:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/mivi1.htm

As for plants for the slope, you may have problems since many plants don't like
to grown under/around roots of walnut trees.

That's the stuff. What's there has been there a while, I hit it with the
weedeater once a month. It hasn't hit the lawn yet.

I think the remaining walnut trees will have to go. I hate those bloody
crappers worse than I hate that nasty wild grape.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:03 AM
The Watcher

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:24:22 -0400, rickm wrote:

[...]

Boy, they must have really done something to make you mad.
Anyway, yucca seems to do well on slopes, and will colonize it eventually. It
does put down deep roots, too.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:43 PM

Rick,
You could do a Waterfall down to a small pond beside your wife's shade
garden. Check out www.bestpondstuff.com or www.backyard-lifestyle.com
for other suggestions.

I hope this helps,
Norman