Old 10-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Lori Hunt

Default Good ground cover needed

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:00:10 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

Highway departments use it to
stabilize the soil so it won't wash away in a storm and because they
don't have to cut it.

That's what my husband is looking for, but that sounds too much like
kudzu to me.

Unfortunately, the hill we are looking to cover has very poor soil and
gets sun all day long. We need something aggressive that won't wash
away. We've thought about mixing some good top soil in with it, but
it's a large, steep area and the soil would say "bye-bye" with the
next rainfall.

I've done some google searches on what's been suggested so far, and
those have led to a variety of plants. One that I'm looking at is
called dragon's blood red sedum. Does anyone have any experience with
that? What I've found out about it is that it works wll with poor
soil and grows quickly, and gets denser with more sun. Works for me,
but I don't know anything about it other than what I've read and would
like to hear from somebody who's actually played with it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Lori