Old 11-07-2004, 12:03 AM
The Watcher

Default Trees and hammocks question

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:14:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
",,,,,,,,, What is UNsafe is wrapping any sort
of rope or wire around a tree.........."

No what is unsafe is LEAVING a rope or wire wrapped tight around the tree
from one year to the next.

Obviously. But, I assume most people aren't going to hang and UNhang their
hammock every day. Life's complicated enough.

I prefer to not leave the hammock hanging in the tree all the time. I put it in
the tree when I feel like laying in it, then bring it back inside when I'm done
with it. I have carabiners on the end of the ropes, and it takes me about a
minute to loop the rope around the tree, hook the carabiner to the metal ring,
repeat the process at the other end, then climb in.

It is safer than trusting a hook.

There are 2 hooks in my sycamore that've been supporting a rope swing for 13
years so far. Two big, fat self-tapping hooks, one adjacent to the other in
case one fails. So, saying they're unsafe is just a generalization, like
saying "rope's not safe for tying up a boat". Depends on the hook, the rope,
the knots, etc.

I prefer not making holes in the bark when I don't have to, especially in trees
I planted and have spent years taking care of.