Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Annie M.

Default Trees and hammocks question

Wondering if it is truth or rumor that if you screw an eye hook into a tree to
support a hammock that the tree will eventually die because of the metal?

We bought a house with this scenario and wonder if something needs to be done
to remedy this (if possible), or if it safe enough.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Doug Kanter

It's safe,.assuming the tree's fat enough to hold the hammock without
causing breakage to the trunk or branch. What is UNsafe is wrapping any sort
of rope or wire around a tree. Eventually, it will girdle (slice into) the
bark and work its way into the channels which carry fluids through the tree.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:02 PM
David Hill

",,,,,,,,, What is UNsafe is wrapping any sort
of rope or wire around a tree.........."

No what is unsafe is LEAVING a rope or wire wrapped tight around the tree
from one year to the next.
It is safer than trusting a hook.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Babberney

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:28:09 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

",,,,,,,,, What is UNsafe is wrapping any sort
of rope or wire around a tree.........."

No what is unsafe is LEAVING a rope or wire wrapped tight around the tree
from one year to the next.
It is safer than trusting a hook.

"....... Eventually, it will girdle (slice into) the
bark and work its way into the channels which carry fluids through the
tree........."

nothing unsafe about trusting a hook, assuming you make sure to get
one large enough to support the weight and you screw it into sound
(non-decayed) wood. Certainly a rope tied around the trunk is not
inherently harmful, but we all know how easy it is to forget how long
things like this have been in place. As the tree grows, a hook will
simply be covered over by the new wood (not great news for anyone
cutting into the wood later with a chainsaw, but that's part of
cutting suburban trees) but if a rope is left tied in place it will
girdle the trunk, as was mentioned above.

To more directly answer the OP: No, the metal will not kill the tree.
The only damage is the small hole drilled to accommodate the hook, and
it's pretty insignificant. Leave it alone.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Annie M.

It's safe,.assuming the tree's fat enough to hold the hammock without
causing breakage to the trunk or branch.

Now that would depend on how BIG the person is that is reclining in the
hammock! LOL!

Seriously, they are sturdy enough trees. I was concerned about a metal foreign
object being screwed into the trunk and having a harmful effect on the trees
down the road.

--Annie

Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Doug Kanter

"David Hill" wrote in message
",,,,,,,,, What is UNsafe is wrapping any sort
of rope or wire around a tree.........."

No what is unsafe is LEAVING a rope or wire wrapped tight around the tree
from one year to the next.

Obviously. But, I assume most people aren't going to hang and UNhang their
hammock every day. Life's complicated enough.

It is safer than trusting a hook.

There are 2 hooks in my sycamore that've been supporting a rope swing for 13
years so far. Two big, fat self-tapping hooks, one adjacent to the other in
case one fails. So, saying they're unsafe is just a generalization, like
saying "rope's not safe for tying up a boat". Depends on the hook, the rope,
the knots, etc.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:03 AM
The Watcher

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:14:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
",,,,,,,,, What is UNsafe is wrapping any sort
of rope or wire around a tree.........."

No what is unsafe is LEAVING a rope or wire wrapped tight around the tree
from one year to the next.

Obviously. But, I assume most people aren't going to hang and UNhang their
hammock every day. Life's complicated enough.

I prefer to not leave the hammock hanging in the tree all the time. I put it in
the tree when I feel like laying in it, then bring it back inside when I'm done
with it. I have carabiners on the end of the ropes, and it takes me about a
minute to loop the rope around the tree, hook the carabiner to the metal ring,
repeat the process at the other end, then climb in.

It is safer than trusting a hook.

There are 2 hooks in my sycamore that've been supporting a rope swing for 13
years so far. Two big, fat self-tapping hooks, one adjacent to the other in
case one fails. So, saying they're unsafe is just a generalization, like
saying "rope's not safe for tying up a boat". Depends on the hook, the rope,
the knots, etc.

I prefer not making holes in the bark when I don't have to, especially in trees
I planted and have spent years taking care of.