Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Ol' Duffer

Default Peonies

In article ,
says...
Peonies are just beautiful, I love the large flowers. Are they difficult to
care for? Would it be too late in the year to plant some now?

Don't know about your climate, but mine in NW Ohio seem to be
nearly indestructible. They grow a large root/tuber that can
store a lot of energy. One bush that was inconveniently located
survived about ten years of regular mowing-off. I finally had
to dig it out, apparently missed a few pieces of root and had
to dig again the next year. I think I finally got it.

On the good side, they don't seem to be highly invasive with
long runners like some plants, and like to form a tight cluster.

Mine are all doubles, and I have never tried to get seed, just
multiply vegetatively. A sharp spade will turn a large bush
into two or three smaller ones every few years without much
thought or effort. I'd normally wait a little later in the
year for the foliage to die off, but you probably won't kill
them transplanting now.

Probably late for most things from seed, unless you wait really
late, let them freeze in the ground, and hope for germination
next Spring.

My $.02, YMMV