Old 11-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Anton Nijhuis

Default [IBC] experience with Mountain Hemlock?

I think you guys are talking about a different animal Tsuga canadensis
and not Mountain Hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana).
Mountain Hemlock are not under story trees but require full light and
they do not get hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae not that I have
ever heard of. The growth rate is moderate depending on your level of
cultural practice i.e. fertilizer etc.
Any good draining soil works, an organic mix with lava 50/50 or 60 lava
40 organic seems to be what most people use. Do not let them dry out in
the spring during bud break. Any other problems just contact anyone in
the Puget Sound club.
Anton