Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Ground squirrel problem

The message
from ojunk (Jefffooz) contains these words:

I live in California. I am experiencing a problem with ground
squirrels in my
garden. Early in the spring, I had a terrible problem with the rabbits; they
ate all my asters and other flowering perennials. To control them, I simply
built a three-foot fence around my garden and this solved the problem.
Then, I
had the gophers to contend with, who started eating all the agapanthus,
liatris, etc. I bought a sound-emitting device that I bury in the
ground; this
has miraculously repelled the gophers from my garden. The ground
squirrels are
another story; they simply climbed over the fence and ignored the
sound device.
They come out while I am at work to eat my gladiolas, dahlias, petunias,
zinnias, asters and of all things, echinacea. I have tried spraying deer
repellent, to no avail. They just keep coming, and their number seems to be
increasing. Does anybody know of an effective way to repel them from the
garden, besides trapping and poisoning? I am thinking perhaps next
year I will
only plant cactus.

Why not make a horror film, like The Birds? The next wave of attack
should be herds of deadly snakes or cougars hunting the small stuff.

Janet.