Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Jefffooz

Default Ground squirrel problem

I live in California. I am experiencing a problem with ground squirrels in my
garden. Early in the spring, I had a terrible problem with the rabbits; they
ate all my asters and other flowering perennials. To control them, I simply
built a three-foot fence around my garden and this solved the problem. Then, I
had the gophers to contend with, who started eating all the agapanthus,
liatris, etc. I bought a sound-emitting device that I bury in the ground; this
has miraculously repelled the gophers from my garden. The ground squirrels are
another story; they simply climbed over the fence and ignored the sound device.
They come out while I am at work to eat my gladiolas, dahlias, petunias,
zinnias, asters and of all things, echinacea. I have tried spraying deer
repellent, to no avail. They just keep coming, and their number seems to be
increasing. Does anybody know of an effective way to repel them from the
garden, besides trapping and poisoning? I am thinking perhaps next year I will
only plant cactus.

Thanks

Jeffery
Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Zemedelec

Squirrel patties. No problem then. Test for rabies etc. first.
zemedelec
Old 12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Betsy

There is a watering device that is made by the same people who make Scat
Mats, which senses motion and comes on, flinging a jet of water around and
scaring away critters. This may work for you! Look up Scat Mat and you'll
probably find the name of it. Many of the gardening catalogues carry it
now.

Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Jim Carlock

:-)

Walmart sells bags of squirrel food. Maybe you can throw the
food into a friendly neighbor's yard a block or so away, but
leaving a path of the food from your house to the destination ?

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Chris

If you can deal with the landmines, get a dog. Our squirrel problems got
worse after the neighbors dog passed away. I've been told rat terriers are
the way to go.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:48 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

I got an Ultrasonic Repellant from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
and it works well. It has a motion detector so that it can run on
it's 9v battery for months. I am very pleased with it.
I hope this helps,
Norman

You may be pleased, but it has no effect on whether squirrels (or anything
else) stays or leaves an area. See this article, "A Sucker Born Every
Minute":
http://www.paghat.com/ultrasonic.html

-paggers

On 12 Jul 2004 06:19:38 GMT, ojunk (Jefffooz) wrote:

[...]

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 PM
how

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

I got an Ultrasonic Repellant from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
and it works well. It has a motion detector so that it can run on
it's 9v battery for months. I am very pleased with it.
I hope this helps,
Norman

You may be pleased, but it has no effect on whether squirrels (or anything
else) stays or leaves an area. See this article, "A Sucker Born Every
Minute":
http://www.paghat.com/ultrasonic.html

http://www.paghat.com

Hi,
normantci @? always recommends stuff (often unneeded) that is sold at
***.b*cky*rd-lifestyle.com or their companion site ***.b*stpondst*ff.com -
coincidence? He/she suggests 'wondering' through these sites - I did
wonder, with the recommendation of the ultrasonic device, wondering ceases.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good