Old 12-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Harry12

Default Save a Maple

"BlueEyedCruzer" wrote in
message ...

I'm constructing a new building on a site that has a 3' (.75m) diameter
Sugar Maple. How close can I put the building to the tree without
damaging the root system?

A steep ravine is located 5' (4.25m) on the far side of the tree.

With a tree this size, you would have to excavate very close indeed to cause
it harm. A more serious consideration is how close the building can be
without it being damaged by the tree - particularly since the proximity of
the ravine will also have an effect on the design of the foundations. This
is a case where you need expert inspection of the site. In my amateur, but
considerable, experience, if the spacing is sufficient for the building it
will also be sufficient for the tree.

- Harry