Old 11-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Registered User

Default Save a Maple

I'm constructing a new building on a site that has a 3' (.75m) diameter Sugar Maple. How close can I put the building to the tree without damaging the root system?

A steep ravine is located 5' (4.25m) on the far side of the tree.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Harry12

"BlueEyedCruzer" wrote in
message ...

I'm constructing a new building on a site that has a 3' (.75m) diameter
Sugar Maple. How close can I put the building to the tree without
damaging the root system?

A steep ravine is located 5' (4.25m) on the far side of the tree.

With a tree this size, you would have to excavate very close indeed to cause
it harm. A more serious consideration is how close the building can be
without it being damaged by the tree - particularly since the proximity of
the ravine will also have an effect on the design of the foundations. This
is a case where you need expert inspection of the site. In my amateur, but
considerable, experience, if the spacing is sufficient for the building it
will also be sufficient for the tree.

- Harry

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Harry12

"BlueEyedCruzer" wrote in
message ...

I'm constructing a new building on a site that has a 3' (.75m) diameter
Sugar Maple. How close can I put the building to the tree without
damaging the root system?

A steep ravine is located 5' (4.25m) on the far side of the tree.

With a tree this size, you would have to excavate very close indeed to cause
it harm. A more serious consideration is how close the building can be
without it being damaged by the tree - particularly since the proximity of
the ravine will also have an effect on the design of the foundations. This
is a case where you need expert inspection of the site. In my amateur, but
considerable, experience, if the spacing is sufficient for the building it
will also be sufficient for the tree.

- Harry

Red Maple / Silver Maple What's the Difference? [email protected] Gardening 5 19-06-2005 10:28 AM
Camera Could Help Sort Fish, Save Stocks BenignVanilla Ponds 0 12-02-2004 11:26 PM
Save Auchincruive and Craibston - Managerial Incompetence and Betrayal Dave Chalton sci.agriculture 0 14-03-2003 05:32 PM
Can I save this paph? ceng Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Save Mallorquin's trees Damaso Ybañez Beltran alt.forestry 0 02-11-2002 07:55 PM