Old 14-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Ben Blackmore

Default Compost?

If it smells that bad I would think there is something wrong, is it hot in
the middle?

Sounds like anaerobic bacteria working to me so yes you do need more air
holes, especially near the bottom. Or, when you next use it, place a piece
of plastic drainpipe down the middle in which you have cut or drilled

holes
so air can circulate within the heap.

--
Regards
Bob

Oh right, it is hot in the middle, and has sunk a lot. I will try and get
hold of some pipe and stick it in the middle.
I was thinking of buying a shredder and adding some old
receipts/documents/newspaper to bulk it out a little as well (safer than
putting those old CC receipts and other personal documents in the bin). And
as Janet suggested I will add some crumplet cardboard.
Also I was going to pay a visit to the local fishing shop, and buying some
worms then adding to the pile. Would this help in the breakdown? Should I do
this now, or after I have added the pipe/newpaper and allowed it to air out
a bit?

Ben