Old 13-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Ben Blackmore

Default Compost?

I just went outside to check on the yellow raspberry leaves, and thought I'd
take the opportunity to turn my compost pile, as I haven't done it for a
month.
My god does it smell! Its like following someone in to the loo, after
they've drunk 10 pints best bitter then had a vindaloo!
Its coming on quite nicely, not to wet, not to dry, a good mix of grass
clippings, rotten fruit and veg, tea bags, and old ground coffee beans. Its
obviously working, as its rotting and smelling pretty bad.
But I was wondering if the plastic dustbin is ok to use, should I make any
holes in the bin to allow more air to circulate? It has a hole in the lid,
but that was from the dog chewing it!

Ben

Old 13-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Bob Hobden

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in message
I just went outside to check on the yellow raspberry leaves, and thought

I'd
take the opportunity to turn my compost pile, as I haven't done it for a
month.
My god does it smell! Its like following someone in to the loo, after
they've drunk 10 pints best bitter then had a vindaloo!
Its coming on quite nicely, not to wet, not to dry, a good mix of grass
clippings, rotten fruit and veg, tea bags, and old ground coffee beans.

Its
obviously working, as its rotting and smelling pretty bad.
But I was wondering if the plastic dustbin is ok to use, should I make any
holes in the bin to allow more air to circulate? It has a hole in the lid,
but that was from the dog chewing it!

If it smells that bad I would think there is something wrong, is it hot in
the middle?

Sounds like anaerobic bacteria working to me so yes you do need more air
holes, especially near the bottom. Or, when you next use it, place a piece
of plastic drainpipe down the middle in which you have cut or drilled holes
so air can circulate within the heap.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Ben Blackmore" contains these words:

I just went outside to check on the yellow raspberry leaves, and thought I'd
take the opportunity to turn my compost pile, as I haven't done it for a
month.
My god does it smell! Its like following someone in to the loo, after
they've drunk 10 pints best bitter then had a vindaloo!
Its coming on quite nicely, not to wet, not to dry, a good mix of grass
clippings, rotten fruit and veg, tea bags, and old ground coffee beans. Its
obviously working, as its rotting and smelling pretty bad.

Smelling bad means it's short of air. Some crumpled cardboard boxes
might help; old egg boxes or egg trays are ideal.

The other week I filled a cubic yard (pallet walls) with layers of
sweepings from a shearing shed floor (wool/dags/sheepmuck/straw), fresh
seaweed, fresh grasscuttings and weeds. It's roasting hot and sinking
fast, but no smell at all.

Janet.

Old 14-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Ben Blackmore

If it smells that bad I would think there is something wrong, is it hot in
the middle?

Sounds like anaerobic bacteria working to me so yes you do need more air
holes, especially near the bottom. Or, when you next use it, place a piece
of plastic drainpipe down the middle in which you have cut or drilled

holes
so air can circulate within the heap.

--
Regards
Bob
in Runnymede, 17miles west of London, UK

Oh right, it is hot in the middle, and has sunk a lot. I will try and get
hold of some pipe and stick it in the middle.
I was thinking of buying a shredder and adding some old
receipts/documents/newspaper to bulk it out a little as well (safer than
putting those old CC receipts and other personal documents in the bin). And
as Janet suggested I will add some crumplet cardboard.
Also I was going to pay a visit to the local fishing shop, and buying some
worms then adding to the pile. Would this help in the breakdown? Should I do
this now, or after I have added the pipe/newpaper and allowed it to air out
a bit?

Ben

Old 14-07-2004, 02:17 AM
bigboard

Ben Blackmore wrote:

Oh right, it is hot in the middle, and has sunk a lot. I will try and get
hold of some pipe and stick it in the middle.
I was thinking of buying a shredder and adding some old
receipts/documents/newspaper to bulk it out a little as well (safer than
putting those old CC receipts and other personal documents in the bin). And
as Janet suggested I will add some crumplet cardboard.
Also I was going to pay a visit to the local fishing shop, and buying some
worms then adding to the pile. Would this help in the breakdown? Should I do
this now, or after I have added the pipe/newpaper and allowed it to air out
a bit?

Normally I would say don't bother buying worms as they will find their
own way in. In a plastic dustbin however, it may well be worth your
while to introduce them. Like others have already said, your heap is
decomposing anaerobically, which is why it stinks. Worms won't like
these conditions, and I would suggest that as well as adding cardboard,
newspaper, etc to the bin to increase aeration, making some holes in the
bottom to allow excess water to drain. I know you said it's not too wet,
but the bottom contents of the bin get saturated and rot anaerobically
if there is no drainage.

A bous to doing this is that compost worms will find their own way into
your bin when the conditions are right for them. I took the lid of one
of my compost bins last night, and the top was literally writhing with
worms. Lovely! And I haven't bought any.

HTH.

Old 14-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Klara

In message , bigboard
writes
Normally I would say don't bother buying worms as they will find their
own way in. In a plastic dustbin however, it may well be worth your
while to introduce them. Like others have already said, your heap is
decomposing anaerobically, which is why it stinks. Worms won't like
these conditions, and I would suggest that as well as adding cardboard,
newspaper, etc to the bin to increase aeration, making some holes in
the bottom to allow excess water to drain. I know you said it's not too
wet, but the bottom contents of the bin get saturated and rot
anaerobically if there is no drainage.

A bous to doing this is that compost worms will find their own way into
your bin when the conditions are right for them. I took the lid of one
of my compost bins last night, and the top was literally writhing with
worms. Lovely! And I haven't bought any.

I always thought that you had to put a plastic bin upside-down, so the
bottom of the compost is in contact with the soil, cut a hole in the
bottom (now the top) to put the materials into, then put the lid back on
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 14-07-2004, 02:22 AM
Ben Blackmore

[...]

Right, when I get home tonight I shall take a hole poker to the plastic and
melt some holes in the bottom, see if we can get some air circulating in
there! Will also see if I can get some pipe and put some holes in there, add
some paper, cardboard and maybe turn the pile again.
Where would I buy worms from? I ask a guy at work who is a fisherman, if
they'd sell them in a fishing shop, but he said they might be the wrong type
of worms, is this true? Do garden centers sell worms? I haven't seen any!

Cheers

Ben

Old 14-07-2004, 04:06 AM
bigboard

Ben Blackmore wrote:

Right, when I get home tonight I shall take a hole poker to the plastic and
melt some holes in the bottom, see if we can get some air circulating in
there! Will also see if I can get some pipe and put some holes in there, add
some paper, cardboard and maybe turn the pile again.
Where would I buy worms from? I ask a guy at work who is a fisherman, if
they'd sell them in a fishing shop, but he said they might be the wrong type
of worms, is this true? Do garden centers sell worms? I haven't seen any!

The type you are looking for are Eisenia foetida or Brandling worms.
Fishing shops to often sell these. But don't bother! If the conditions
are right for them and there is access - ie your new ventilation - they
will turn up on their own and start breeding in no time. There really is
no need to buy worms for compost bins outside. However, if you put
bought worms in unsuitable conditions, they'll slither off again sharpish!

If you are in a hurry, have a fettle around in an understanding
neighbour's compost bin. I'm sure you'll find plenty.
Old 14-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Ben Blackmore" contains these words:

I was thinking of buying a shredder and adding some old
receipts/documents/newspaper to bulk it out a little as well (safer than
putting those old CC receipts and other personal documents in the bin).

No need for a shredder..just screw them up; the airspaces help the
heap. I also drop documents that my bank tells me should not go in the
bin, in the compost bucket in the kitchen where they go soggy in the old
tea and coffe grounds..they will disintegrate fast.

Also I was going to pay a visit to the local fishing shop, and buying some
worms then adding to the pile. Would this help in the breakdown? Should I do
this now, or after I have added the pipe/newpaper and allowed it to air out
a bit?

Brandlings/tigerworms from a bait shop (or farm/stables muck-heap) are
a brilliant addition to cooled compost heaps, but they are temperature
sensitive, so add them to a heap after it is completely full of
**cooled-down** material where decomposition is well under way. At that
stage, I cap off the maturing heap with some brandlings and a thin
thatch of grass clippings to shelter them on their first day at their
new job, On top, an airgap and a rain-proof roof to stop the compost
goodness getting leached out, then start a new heap elsewhere. The
brandlings will multiply rapidly and speed the final breakdown of the
material.

When you empty out that compost heap to use it, add a shovel full from
the bottom bit, to the next cool heap. If the worms have been happy it
should have some adults or their eggs in it so you won't need to buy
them again.

Janet.

Old 14-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Ben Blackmore

No need for a shredder..just screw them up; the airspaces help the
heap. I also drop documents that my bank tells me should not go in the
bin, in the compost bucket in the kitchen where they go soggy in the old
tea and coffe grounds..they will disintegrate fast.

Thats an idea, will save me the cost of a shedder as well!

When you empty out that compost heap to use it, add a shovel full from
the bottom bit, to the next cool heap. If the worms have been happy it
should have some adults or their eggs in it so you won't need to buy
them again.

Janet.

Thanks for the advice! I'll visit the bait shop over the weekend and see if
I can get some.

Cheers

Ben

Old 14-07-2004, 12:24 PM
sarah

bigboard wrote:

Ben Blackmore wrote:

[...]

Alternatively, put some sheets of damp cardboard on bare soil under the
shrubs for a day or two, then gather the thin red worms from under that.
I seem to recall that if your compost smells really strongly ammoniacal
it's probably too acid for them (and the better bacteria, too); fork in
a few good handfuls of garden lime to aerate the stuff and alter the pH.

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.
Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
sarah

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

[-]

Brandlings/tigerworms from a bait shop (or farm/stables muck-heap) are
a brilliant addition to cooled compost heaps, but they are temperature
sensitive, so add them to a heap after it is completely full of
**cooled-down** material where decomposition is well under way.

Those living in my black plastic compost bin migrate up and down in the
compost according to the temperature of the working layer: if I've just
added grass and sawdust, they head down into the finished compost at the
bottom of the bin, moving back up to feed on kitchen refuse after the
grass has cooled.

regards
sarah

Old 15-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Ben Blackmore

Alternatively, put some sheets of damp cardboard on bare soil under the
shrubs for a day or two, then gather the thin red worms from under that.
I seem to recall that if your compost smells really strongly ammoniacal
it's probably too acid for them (and the better bacteria, too); fork in
a few good handfuls of garden lime to aerate the stuff and alter the pH.

regards
sarah

That's a good idea, I'll give it a try tonight

Thanks

Ben