Old 14-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Nick Gray

Default Mountfield v Honda lawnmowers

"Stewart Devereux" wrote in message
Off to my local B+Q to buy a petrol lawnmover. Want one that will add
strips. Two options a Honda for £299 or the Mountfield for £349. This has

roller, the Honda a "stripping rubber strip". The Honda has a smaller
cutting width. Which one would people recommend ?
--
Regards,
Stu Devereux.

I've had a Mountfield with steel deck for the last 8 years. Starts first or
second time every time, even after the winter. However I noticed on the
weekend that there is a small hole that's rusted through. So unless you
clean and dry the machine after each use you might want to consider an
aluminium alloy deck

My neighbour brought a Honda a couple of years ago and has had all sorts of
problems. But having said that, I can't believe Honda would still be in the
lawnmower business if all of their machines had the same level of problems.

As Atwifa said, if you can afford it go for a Hayter - it's what most of the
professionals use. Although I'm not sure what he meant about not having seen
a Mountfield with a metal deck - I've not seen one that doesn't have a steel
deck. Although I agree with avoiding plastic decks on all mowers.

Have a look at this site I stumbled across yesterday -
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/index.html (no I'm not affliated with them),
going through their mower advisor might give you a better idea of the
differences between the available machines.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk