Old 14-07-2004, 02:17 AM
bigboard

Default Compost?

Ben Blackmore wrote:

Oh right, it is hot in the middle, and has sunk a lot. I will try and get
hold of some pipe and stick it in the middle.
I was thinking of buying a shredder and adding some old
receipts/documents/newspaper to bulk it out a little as well (safer than
putting those old CC receipts and other personal documents in the bin). And
as Janet suggested I will add some crumplet cardboard.
Also I was going to pay a visit to the local fishing shop, and buying some
worms then adding to the pile. Would this help in the breakdown? Should I do
this now, or after I have added the pipe/newpaper and allowed it to air out
a bit?

Normally I would say don't bother buying worms as they will find their
own way in. In a plastic dustbin however, it may well be worth your
while to introduce them. Like others have already said, your heap is
decomposing anaerobically, which is why it stinks. Worms won't like
these conditions, and I would suggest that as well as adding cardboard,
newspaper, etc to the bin to increase aeration, making some holes in the
bottom to allow excess water to drain. I know you said it's not too wet,
but the bottom contents of the bin get saturated and rot anaerobically
if there is no drainage.

A bous to doing this is that compost worms will find their own way into
your bin when the conditions are right for them. I took the lid of one
of my compost bins last night, and the top was literally writhing with
worms. Lovely! And I haven't bought any.

HTH.