Old 14-07-2004, 05:02 AM
starlord

Default Tiny, Nonflowering Dahlias

Dahilas bloom in the fall if planted right. Look for blooms by Sept.

"Jenny" wrote in message
Okay, I admit planted these dahlias in an area that turned out to have

less
sun than I thought it would have. But I've got roses blooming nearby

getting
the same amount of sun, so they aren't exactly in the dark.

The dahlias, growing from bare bulbs which I bought at Wal-mart this

spring,
are about six inches high and have lots of healthy looking leaves, but

have
no hint of a flower. When I visited the local show garden I realized just
how pathetic they are.

So are they a dead loss? Will planting them in a sunnier spot make a
difference next year or is the problem perhaps the soil which I did not
amend very much before I planted them? My bearded irises didn't flower,

but
my daffodils and Brodiaea did just fine in the same soil.

All suggestions for what to do next year are greatly appreciated. I want
dahlia blooms!

-- Jenny

---