Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Jenny

Default Tiny, Nonflowering Dahlias

Okay, I admit planted these dahlias in an area that turned out to have less
sun than I thought it would have. But I've got roses blooming nearby getting
the same amount of sun, so they aren't exactly in the dark.

The dahlias, growing from bare bulbs which I bought at Wal-mart this spring,
are about six inches high and have lots of healthy looking leaves, but have
no hint of a flower. When I visited the local show garden I realized just
how pathetic they are.

So are they a dead loss? Will planting them in a sunnier spot make a
difference next year or is the problem perhaps the soil which I did not
amend very much before I planted them? My bearded irises didn't flower, but
my daffodils and Brodiaea did just fine in the same soil.

All suggestions for what to do next year are greatly appreciated. I want
dahlia blooms!

-- Jenny

Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bill R

Jenny wrote:
[...]

Jenny,

Quite frankly, if you want good varieties of Dahlias you
shouldn't be buying them at Wal-Mart. There are many mail
order dealers that will sell you "named" varieties so you
know exactly what you will get and when how long they take
to bloom.

There are many varieties of Dahlias and some take over 4
months before they bloom. Do you know what variety they
are? I would just let them alone and feed them every
couple of weeks and you should see some blooms.

Dahlias do their best in a area with full sun but I have
some in an area with only 6 hours of sun and they bloom
quite well. I don't start feeding them until they are about
eight inches tall.

Until yours bloom, you can enjoy pictures of mine from my
web site, http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm I
have over 60 of them this year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 13-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Jenny" wrote in message
[...]

I have some small dahlias, "Figero mix" in a bed that lines my driveway.
There is a distance difference in the growth rate between the ones in direct
sun and the ones that get shade from my maple tree. They have just begun to
flower heavily this week. I also have some cactus flowering dahlias that
are over six feet tall and growing. They are planted in an area that gets
partial sun and are doing quite well. I would keep them evenly most and
apply some fertilizer. I use 12-12-12 on mine but a water soluble
fertilizer like Miracle Grow would be fine also. The temperatures have just
started to be in the 80s consistently here. The annuals have really started
to grow. Only two varieties of cannas are blooming so far. Your plants may
quickly take off as it warms up.

Old 14-07-2004, 02:02 AM
GrampysGurl

All suggestions for what to do next year are greatly appreciated. I want
dahlia blooms!

-- Jenny

When did you start them? Mine are about the same size but I started them later
then usual and have just begun to bloom.... I would let them grow, mine get a
fair bit of shade and still bloom wonderfully. I am not sure where you are
located but here we dig them up in the winter and plant in the spring.... they
can be started indoors a little earlier if you put them in pots. Other then the
digging up and replanting every year these are very easy wonderful flowers to
grow. Dead head, dead head, dead head once it does start to bloom to keep a
good continual bloom on the plant.. they bloom right through to the first hard
frost. Can you tell they are one of my favorites???? I discovered them totally
by accident.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 14-07-2004, 02:02 AM
GrampysGurl

There are many varieties of Dahlias and some take over 4
months before they bloom. Do you know what variety they
are? I would just let them alone and feed them every
couple of weeks and you should see some blooms.

Dahlias do their best in a area with full sun but I have
some in an area with only 6 hours of sun and they bloom
quite well. I don't start feeding them until they are about
eight inches tall.

Until yours bloom, you can enjoy pictures of mine from my
web site, http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm I
have over 60 of them this year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Could you give me the name of the one top right corner of your link.... the
yellow and pink one..... that's the one I discovered by accident... I lost it a
few years back when I didn't get around to digging them up. Thank you in
advance.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Old 14-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Bill R

GrampysGurl wrote:

Could you give me the name of the one top right corner of your link.... the
yellow and pink one..... that's the one I discovered by accident... I lost it a
few years back when I didn't get around to digging them up. Thank you in
advance.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Colleen,

Its name is "Tropical Sunset" and I purchased it at a local
garden store. Some blooms have more yellow in the center
and as it blooms the petals are more orange than pink.

Old 14-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Vox Humana

"starlord" wrote in message
Dahilas bloom in the fall if planted right. Look for blooms by Sept.

I must not be planting mine right. They have been blooming for weeks.

Old 14-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill R

starlord wrote:
Dahilas bloom in the fall if planted right. Look for blooms by Sept.

I don't know where you are but here, in the mid-west area of
the U. S., Dahlias can be planted in the ground in late
March and, depending on the variety, usually start blooming
in late June. The larger (often called dinnerplate
varieties) usually start blooming in July (sometimes early
August if they were planted latter). In my area Dahlias
usually bloom their "best" in early fall after the weather
cools down. The problem is that sometimes we have an early
frost and, of course, that is the end of the Dahlias. That
is why I like to start them early (inside) so we have more
time to enjoy them.

Old 15-07-2004, 08:02 AM
starlord

I am on the Dahlia-net list and I read all the time about blooms in fall and
that's also when the shows are held too.

Old 15-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bill R

starlord wrote:
I am on the Dahlia-net list and I read all the time about blooms in fall and
that's also when the shows are held too.

That is fine but it is still too general a statement and
isn't true for all areas. I grow a lot of them, and in my
area, MOST of them are blooming now.

As for Dahlia shows, in my area, they are in August. You
have to remember that this newsgroup is read in a lot of
countries and what is true for growing things in one area
may not apply to another area.

Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 PM
GrampysGurl

I am on the Dahlia-net list and I read all the time about blooms in fall and
that's also when the shows are held too.

I'm zone 5 Connecticut and I usually plant early April and have blooms from
late June through the first hard frost. If I took the time to plant them
indoors they would hold their bloom all season. One of the reasons I like them
in the garden is I am guaranteed continuos color all year if I'm good about
dead heading. I planted mine late this year around Mother's Day and they are
starting to bloom now. I don't do anything special for my plants other then
leaf mulch and watering only when it hasn't rained in a couple weeks if even
then it depends on if the plants are stressed or not. I use no chemicals and
depend on birds and other insects to keep pests in check here. I think Mother
Nature has a pretty good system all on her own and I try to not interfere too
much with it )
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut

[IMG] code is On

Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 04:39 AM
dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM