Old 14-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Gail Futoran

Default climbers

"J" wrote
[snip]
ZONE 8, happy days is it hot down there, I might be in

twilight
Zone, :-)

Not too bad - we've had a relatively cool spring
and summer - lots of rain. Lots of weeds. Temps
in the 90s by afternoon, so I tend to come in
from yardwork no later than 2 PM.

I will deadhead the spent blooms, thanks for help.

what type of soil do you have, just curious.

The natural soil is a very fine clay. I amend
holes for roses (most of my roses are in raised
beds) with a locally produced concoction
consisting of fine mulch, compost, orange sand.
I found early on that makes a too light soil -
dries out easily - so I learned to mix back in
some of the clay for water retention.

middle of September it starts to cool down up here,
thanks
jak

If we're lucky, it might get a bit cool around
here by late November, and that might last
into February. In the 10 years I've lived here,
my roses have gone totally dormant over the
"winter" only a few times.

Gail