Old 14-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Compost?

The message
from "Ben Blackmore" contains these words:

I was thinking of buying a shredder and adding some old
receipts/documents/newspaper to bulk it out a little as well (safer than
putting those old CC receipts and other personal documents in the bin).

No need for a shredder..just screw them up; the airspaces help the
heap. I also drop documents that my bank tells me should not go in the
bin, in the compost bucket in the kitchen where they go soggy in the old
tea and coffe grounds..they will disintegrate fast.

Also I was going to pay a visit to the local fishing shop, and buying some
worms then adding to the pile. Would this help in the breakdown? Should I do
this now, or after I have added the pipe/newpaper and allowed it to air out
a bit?

Brandlings/tigerworms from a bait shop (or farm/stables muck-heap) are
a brilliant addition to cooled compost heaps, but they are temperature
sensitive, so add them to a heap after it is completely full of
**cooled-down** material where decomposition is well under way. At that
stage, I cap off the maturing heap with some brandlings and a thin
thatch of grass clippings to shelter them on their first day at their
new job, On top, an airgap and a rain-proof roof to stop the compost
goodness getting leached out, then start a new heap elsewhere. The
brandlings will multiply rapidly and speed the final breakdown of the
material.

When you empty out that compost heap to use it, add a shovel full from
the bottom bit, to the next cool heap. If the worms have been happy it
should have some adults or their eggs in it so you won't need to buy
them again.

Janet.