Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Victoria Clare

Default matucana :-(

Kate Morgan wrote in
:

I planted them 4/5 weeks ago but I think that you have hit the nail on
the head, my family tell me that I am impatient and dont give things a
chance to grow :-) I will wait I`m sure that they are going to be
worth it, thank you

definitely wait a bit longer then! I'd guess you have 2-3 weeks to wait
still.

you might want to try sowing some this autumn - this gives you the longest
possible flowering period - but a couple of things I've found:

1) plant them outside - don't be tempted to give them a windowsill or even
a greenhouse, or they will overstretch themselves before the sun comes back
and get weak.

2) give them a really big pot. I've made this mistake several times now -
they aren't small plants, and if they are going to be growing all winter
long, they need a lot of root-room, particularly if it's a mild winter.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall