Old 14-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Kate Morgan

Default matucana :-(

I have some matucana sweet pea plants growing well in a large pot - the
plants are about 2 ft. high and look healthy but there is no sign of
flowers, they have been fed watered etc, any ideas what the problem
might be or do I just give up hope.

kate
Old 14-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Victoria Clare

Kate Morgan wrote in
:

I have some matucana sweet pea plants growing well in a large pot - the
plants are about 2 ft. high and look healthy but there is no sign of
flowers, they have been fed watered etc, any ideas what the problem
might be or do I just give up hope.

When did you plant them? 2 feet is on the small side to start flowering -
maybe you just need to give it a bit longer?

Mine have been flowering for about a month, and are now just reaching head
height (same variety).

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 14-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Kate Morgan

I have some matucana sweet pea plants growing well in a large pot - the
plants are about 2 ft. high and look healthy but there is no sign of
flowers, they have been fed watered etc, any ideas what the problem
might be or do I just give up hope.

When did you plant them? 2 feet is on the small side to start flowering -
maybe you just need to give it a bit longer?

Mine have been flowering for about a month, and are now just reaching head
height (same variety).

Victoria

I planted them 4/5 weeks ago but I think that you have hit the nail on
the head, my family tell me that I am impatient and dont give things a
chance to grow :-) I will wait I`m sure that they are going to be worth
it, thank you

kate
Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Victoria Clare

Kate Morgan wrote in
:

I planted them 4/5 weeks ago but I think that you have hit the nail on
the head, my family tell me that I am impatient and dont give things a
chance to grow :-) I will wait I`m sure that they are going to be
worth it, thank you

definitely wait a bit longer then! I'd guess you have 2-3 weeks to wait
still.

you might want to try sowing some this autumn - this gives you the longest
possible flowering period - but a couple of things I've found:

1) plant them outside - don't be tempted to give them a windowsill or even
a greenhouse, or they will overstretch themselves before the sun comes back
and get weak.

2) give them a really big pot. I've made this mistake several times now -
they aren't small plants, and if they are going to be growing all winter
long, they need a lot of root-room, particularly if it's a mild winter.

Victoria

Lathyrus matucana Sacha United Kingdom 8 19-07-2007 06:29 PM
sweet peas matucana not flowering jay jay[_2_] United Kingdom 2 15-06-2007 05:59 PM