Old 14-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default replace soil below instead of replanting- Is that possible?

"NoPatience" wrote in message
.. .
I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a

mound.
I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry.
Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is
there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

I would cultivate the surface and mulch heavily. Otherwise, I would wait
for an appropriate time to dig and transplant them such as when they are
dormant in the early spring or in late fall after they have dropped their
leaves.