Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 PM
NoPatience

Default replace soil below instead of replanting- Is that possible?

I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a mound.
I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry.
Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is
there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

Old 14-07-2004, 07:02 AM
The Watcher

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:00:17 -0400, "NoPatience" wrote:

I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a mound.
I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry.
Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is
there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

You could dig out some narrow holes with an auger, doing just a few at a time.
Water each time you do and let the soil sink down into the holes. Adding some
compost might help. I'd stay well away from the plant and try to avoid harming
the roots as much as possible. If you don't want to risk the plant you could
just wait until it goes dormant in the winter and dig it up, then work on the
mound.
Old 14-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Vox Humana

"NoPatience" wrote in message
.. .
I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a

mound.
I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry.
Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is
there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

I would cultivate the surface and mulch heavily. Otherwise, I would wait
for an appropriate time to dig and transplant them such as when they are
dormant in the early spring or in late fall after they have dropped their
leaves.

[IMG] code is On

they are nibbling below sticky, below tired, towards upper onions Milton I. Hanabec United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:44 PM
Replace soil below a growing plant Mary Edible Gardening 2 17-07-2004 05:02 AM
Possible cure for Fusarium Wilt infected soil ---Pete--- Edible Gardening 0 02-07-2003 12:44 PM
replanting new roses? Jane Roses 7 16-04-2003 03:56 AM
REPLANTING TREES alan kearn United Kingdom 4 10-03-2003 10:00 PM