Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Which Veg to grow in July

"RichardS" wrote in reply to my reply
"Cal Mac" wrote in message ...
Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to

be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.

Plant some Early Peas, like Feltham First, you will get a good crop in
September, peas like cool weather.

snip
Do you think it would be worth sowing a row of early peas to achieve some
successional cropping?

I have found we can't grow peas during the height of the summer, too hot
(usually!) so we only grow early peas, Feltham First (our favourite), Early
Onward, Lincoln.
We have grown Alderman and other tall main crop peas but without too much
success in the last few years.
Finally we plant some FF about the beginning of August for a late crop. We
usually have enough peas in the freezers to keep us going until the next
season.
Although it sounds silly, you plant an Early pea late because they grow
quickly and are tougher plants than some, so can take a bit of cold.

SWMBO has an appetite for peas such as I have never seen before... I just
wish I could get her out of the habit of buying bags of imported peas in
pods out of season - I find them utterly flavourless & would much prefer
frozen ones during these months!

We prefer the solid meaty type pea like FF to those sweet nothingness
foreign or frozen ones. Some would say we leave our peas too long before
picking but that's how we like them, solid, real peas.
We freeze our own in two portion amounts within an hour of being picked.

--
Regards
Bob