Old 15-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Meat-eating [Was: Clarification: HOW YOU CAN HELP stop fishing?]

Wilson Woods vârmïnt@frèêdom.úsâ.çøm wrote in message link.net...
[...]
There should have been extra emphasis: our teeth and
the rest of our anatomy are *not* well adapted to
eating ***large*** quantities of meat... Our teeth
and anatomy are very well adapted to eating moderate
quantities of meat. In general, people shouldn't be
eating 20 ounce porterhouse steaks; that just isn't
healthful. People SHOULD be eating 4-6 ounce filets,
pork chops, chicken breasts, fish steaks, etc. - along
with cereal grains, fresh green vegetables, beans and
other legumes, and fresh fruit, meat/poultry/fish
servings in that range are very healthful indeed.

[...]
(Non-urg follow-ups removed.)

Not sure if any in urg are following this irritatingly mixed-quality
thread; but it's not entirely irrelevant. We do need to change to a
low-meat diet, regardless of health issues, because high levels of
meat-production are not sustainable in planetary terms. For some kinds
of meat and fish, this is already reflected in the price; so, without
even thinking much about it, many of us already use animal products as
a treat or a flavouring rather than a major fat and protein source.

Mike.