Old 16-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Katra

Default privacy ivy?

In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

I have an apartment with two side-by-side sliding glass doors on the
balcony that only seem to provide light and a view into the neighbor's
place. was thinking about putting up a wire panel and getting something
that would grow over it to give some privacy and greenery and still

allow
for ambient lighting when the blinds (ack) are open. the window faces
south, so it doesn't get a WHOLE lot of sun....

ideas?

thanks,

jrm

Wild grapes.

K.

yeah? no kidding? also, what should I use as a base for said greenery? a
long trough-type affair?

jrm

I'm using a 6' wire farm fencing supported by t-posts...

3 years and I've got the green privacy fence from hell, and wild grapes
don't need much water. ;-)

The honey suckle that is under it never gave me _near_ this much
coverage! The only drawback is that it loses it's leaves in the winter.
Over time the vines will provide some decent privacy tho'.

English Ivy does ok, but Ivy seems to grow best for me in full shade.
I have that out front and it's limping along and does not have anywhere
near the rapid growth rate of Muscadine grapes. I'm now in the process
of adding in some edible grapes mixed in with the others.

Oriental (star) jasmine does well in full sunlight, but does not give me
anywhere NEAR the coverage that the wild grapes do! No way, no how. G

A quickie for just the summer would be birdhouse gourd, but it freezes
and dies and has to be replanted every year.

I have some seeds if you want some. For just postage. lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...