Old 14-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Jrm

Default privacy ivy?

I have an apartment with two side-by-side sliding glass doors on the
balcony that only seem to provide light and a view into the neighbor's
place. was thinking about putting up a wire panel and getting something
that would grow over it to give some privacy and greenery and still allow
for ambient lighting when the blinds (ack) are open. the window faces
south, so it doesn't get a WHOLE lot of sun....

ideas?

thanks,

jrm

Old 15-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Scott Sexton

In article , jbruch1
says...

I have an apartment with two side-by-side sliding glass doors on the
balcony that only seem to provide light and a view into the neighbor's
place. was thinking about putting up a wire panel and getting something
that would grow over it to give some privacy and greenery and still allow
for ambient lighting when the blinds (ack) are open. the window faces
south, so it doesn't get a WHOLE lot of sun....

ideas?

thanks,

jrm

I have some great ivy at my house that should do the job. I don't know
what kind it is, but it stays green and leaved all year. Be careful if
you plant it in the ground, it will take over a tree if you let it.

Drop me a note if you want some cuttings

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party eeyore.sexton.com

Old 15-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

I have an apartment with two side-by-side sliding glass doors on the
balcony that only seem to provide light and a view into the neighbor's
place. was thinking about putting up a wire panel and getting something
that would grow over it to give some privacy and greenery and still allow
for ambient lighting when the blinds (ack) are open. the window faces
south, so it doesn't get a WHOLE lot of sun....

ideas?

thanks,

jrm

Wild grapes.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 15-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Jrm

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

I have an apartment with two side-by-side sliding glass doors on the
balcony that only seem to provide light and a view into the neighbor's
place. was thinking about putting up a wire panel and getting something
that would grow over it to give some privacy and greenery and still

allow
for ambient lighting when the blinds (ack) are open. the window faces
south, so it doesn't get a WHOLE lot of sun....

ideas?

thanks,

jrm

Wild grapes.

K.

yeah? no kidding? also, what should I use as a base for said greenery? a
long trough-type affair?

jrm

Old 16-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

I have an apartment with two side-by-side sliding glass doors on the
balcony that only seem to provide light and a view into the neighbor's
place. was thinking about putting up a wire panel and getting something
that would grow over it to give some privacy and greenery and still

allow
for ambient lighting when the blinds (ack) are open. the window faces
south, so it doesn't get a WHOLE lot of sun....

ideas?

thanks,

jrm

Wild grapes.

K.

yeah? no kidding? also, what should I use as a base for said greenery? a
long trough-type affair?

jrm

I'm using a 6' wire farm fencing supported by t-posts...

3 years and I've got the green privacy fence from hell, and wild grapes
don't need much water. ;-)

The honey suckle that is under it never gave me _near_ this much
coverage! The only drawback is that it loses it's leaves in the winter.
Over time the vines will provide some decent privacy tho'.

English Ivy does ok, but Ivy seems to grow best for me in full shade.
I have that out front and it's limping along and does not have anywhere
near the rapid growth rate of Muscadine grapes. I'm now in the process
of adding in some edible grapes mixed in with the others.

Oriental (star) jasmine does well in full sunlight, but does not give me
anywhere NEAR the coverage that the wild grapes do! No way, no how. G

A quickie for just the summer would be birdhouse gourd, but it freezes
and dies and has to be replanted every year.

I have some seeds if you want some. For just postage. lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 20-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Jrm

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

[...]

haha. I was trying to explain this to my girl and all I could
come up with was old farm-speak. "Hog Panels baby.... you know. HOG
panels?" she's a city girl. no chance.

3 years and I've got the green privacy fence from hell, and wild grapes
don't need much water. ;-)

excellent. next free weekend I have, I'll give it a shot. she's on a
second floor balcony, so should I just plop a 6'-10' trough along the bottom
of the railing and let them get started that way?

thanks so much,

jrm

Old 20-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

[...]

lol

Hog panels would be convenient. :-)
What I have is the 2" x 4" mesh farm fencing.
A 50' roll runs about $39.00 right now, but a hog panel is only $15.00
and it sounds like you did not need a large piece of fence.

A plastic lattice would look nice also and hold up longer than the wood
ones. T-posts are cheap and easy to install.

3 years and I've got the green privacy fence from hell, and wild grapes
don't need much water. ;-)

excellent. next free weekend I have, I'll give it a shot. she's on a
second floor balcony, so should I just plop a 6'-10' trough along the bottom
of the railing and let them get started that way?

Should work. One thing nice about using xeriscaping (using native Texas
plants) is that maintenance tends to be lower and they don't usually
need much water.

thanks so much,

jrm

You are welcome!

You may also consider substituting an edible type grape, but that would
take more water and grow a bit slower. Grapes tend to do well in Texas.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 20-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Jrm

You may also consider substituting an edible type grape, but that would
take more water and grow a bit slower. Grapes tend to do well in Texas.

K.

well, being a chef/cook/food nerd, that sounds like the way to go....

thanks again,
jrm

Old 21-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Jrm" wrote:

You may also consider substituting an edible type grape, but that would
take more water and grow a bit slower. Grapes tend to do well in Texas.

K.

well, being a chef/cook/food nerd, that sounds like the way to go....

thanks again,
jrm

Could be fun. :-)
Wild grapes have their uses, but they are harsh and only good for
juicing!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM