Old 16-07-2004, 06:02 PM
San Diego Joe

Default Pickeral Rush

"Crashj" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in message
"Crashj" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in message

and an Oscar.
^^^^^^
waitaminute, you mean an Oscar like in an aquarium dwelling South
American Ciclid Oscar? Just how warm is your water??

Yup, that kind of Oscar.

He doesn't seem to catch too many mosquito
fish, but does seem to have developed a liking for goldfish pellets. Sigh...

That is very interesting since I have an Oscar inside who is a total
PITA and will not eat his feeder fish. He hides over in the corner and
sulks, mostly. I think he was traumatized in his youth when he tried
to swallow a cory cat and I had to pull it out with pliers. The roof
of his mouth was never the same.
The new pond may be just the thing for him . . .
Of course being in Pennsylvania may make his outdoor season short. So
70F water is fine for him, you think?

We put him in in spring as soon as the water can maintain "near" 70. I'd try
it colder, but don't want to risk it. I think that basically what happens
when the water is too cold is he is more prone to disease. On the other
hand, he sure seems happier in his larger surroundings! But, yeah, I'd say
anything over 70 would be fine.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.