Old 14-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Pickeral Rush

I have 2 Pickeral Rush in my pond. They seem to be growing well but have
virtually no flowers. They develope the little corn cob thing - then just a
few tiny maybe 1/8 inch purple 'flower leaves' will emerge - not even enough
to fall off - then its done - goes to brown. The could be root bound
because it had quite a root mass when I planted and they are considerably
more profuse now. It could be a nutritional problem. I have been
fertilizing monthly but perhaps my fertilizer is not very potent, as I have
posted about lilies yellowing prematurely with same fertilizer. I did plant
the rush with only about 20% soil and the rest pea gravel. Or it could be
just the variety. Met a guy who was given the same plants and he says his
do the same thing. I emailed the benefactors but no response. Water is
good with a small amount of nitrates. Lotsa fish.
What do ya think? Variety or aquaculture?
Thanxx
Bill Brister

Old 14-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Ka30P

Mine did that too.
then just a

few tiny maybe 1/8 inch purple 'flower leaves' will emerge
Then the plant ate its pot, tried to take over the pond and ended up in the
compost heap.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Lydia

Yeah, same with mine. There are several tall stalks with a big leaf at the
top. They're all nice and green and fertilized, but only one of them has
had the little tiny purple flowers so far. And they were only there for a
couple, three days before browning and dying.

Lydia

m...

Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
San Diego Joe

"Ka30P" wrote:

Mine did that too.
then just a
few tiny maybe 1/8 inch purple 'flower leaves' will emerge
Then the plant ate its pot, tried to take over the pond and ended up in the
compost heap.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Boy, ditto that! What a pig of a plant.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
zookeeper

Too few blossoms and green, "growing well" plants usually means too much
fertilizer, or at least too much nitrogen in the fertilizer. Our pickeral
are never fertilized, potted in river rock or lava, bloom profusely, always
"jump pot" and try to take over the pond. They're about 3-4 feet tall now
with blooms 4-6 inches long. The koi are pretty good about keeping them
rounded up, breaking off the portions that creep out of the pot or pushing
the pot to the bottom of the pond. I rarely repot the pickeral unless I'm
dividing some to give away.
--
Zk
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
I have 2 Pickeral Rush in my pond. They seem to be growing well but have
virtually no flowers .... The could be root bound ... It could be a

Old 15-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Crashj

San Diego Joe wrote in message ...

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo
and an Oscar.

^^^^^^
waitaminute, you mean an Oscar like an aquarium dwelling South
American Ciclid Oscar? Just how warm is your water??
--
Crashj
Old 15-07-2004, 07:03 PM
San Diego Joe

"Crashj" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in message

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo
and an Oscar.

^^^^^^
waitaminute, you mean an Oscar like an aquarium dwelling South
American Ciclid Oscar? Just how warm is your water??

Yup, that kind of Oscar. We bought him last summer to try to keep down the
mosquito fish population. We brought him in to an aquarium for the winter.
Our water is in the high 70's. He doesn't seem to catch too many mosquito
fish, but does seem to have developed a liking for goldfish pellets. Sigh...

Old 16-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Crashj

"Crashj" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in message

and an Oscar.

^^^^^^
waitaminute, you mean an Oscar like in an aquarium dwelling South
American Ciclid Oscar? Just how warm is your water??

Yup, that kind of Oscar.

He doesn't seem to catch too many mosquito
fish, but does seem to have developed a liking for goldfish pellets. Sigh...

That is very interesting since I have an Oscar inside who is a total
PITA and will not eat his feeder fish. He hides over in the corner and
sulks, mostly. I think he was traumatized in his youth when he tried
to swallow a cory cat and I had to pull it out with pliers. The roof
of his mouth was never the same.
The new pond may be just the thing for him . . .
Of course being in Pennsylvania may make his outdoor season short. So
70F water is fine for him, you think?
--
Crashj
Old 16-07-2004, 06:02 PM
San Diego Joe

"Crashj" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in message

and an Oscar.
^^^^^^
waitaminute, you mean an Oscar like in an aquarium dwelling South
American Ciclid Oscar? Just how warm is your water??

Yup, that kind of Oscar.

He doesn't seem to catch too many mosquito
fish, but does seem to have developed a liking for goldfish pellets. Sigh...

That is very interesting since I have an Oscar inside who is a total
PITA and will not eat his feeder fish. He hides over in the corner and
sulks, mostly. I think he was traumatized in his youth when he tried
to swallow a cory cat and I had to pull it out with pliers. The roof
of his mouth was never the same.
The new pond may be just the thing for him . . .
Of course being in Pennsylvania may make his outdoor season short. So
70F water is fine for him, you think?

We put him in in spring as soon as the water can maintain "near" 70. I'd try
it colder, but don't want to risk it. I think that basically what happens
when the water is too cold is he is more prone to disease. On the other
hand, he sure seems happier in his larger surroundings! But, yeah, I'd say
anything over 70 would be fine.

Old 20-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Joe,

Jim has an Oscar in his office aquarium (70 gal). It lives in a steady
74-78 degree temp. It eats extra mosquito fish that he traps from the
pond...keeping the gambusia population down by having the Oscar eat
them...with an intermediate step. The office Oscar also loves catfish food.
When it was young, it would lie on its side when we approached the tank,
sending the message that it was a dead fish or perhaps a leaf and therefore
not worth eating. We cold run it in the pond, but don't think we could get
it out in the fall. How did you trap yours to bring it in in the fall?

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 20-07-2004, 05:02 PM
San Diego Joe

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote:

Jim has an Oscar in his office aquarium (70 gal). It lives in a steady
74-78 degree temp. It eats extra mosquito fish that he traps from the
pond...keeping the gambusia population down by having the Oscar eat
them...with an intermediate step. The office Oscar also loves catfish food.
When it was young, it would lie on its side when we approached the tank,
sending the message that it was a dead fish or perhaps a leaf and therefore
not worth eating. We cold run it in the pond, but don't think we could get
it out in the fall. How did you trap yours to bring it in in the fall?

I bought a roll of bird netting, the same kind people use to keep herons out
of the pond. It's about 8'-10' wide. Starting at one side of my pond, I
placed large rocks on one edge of the netting, then unrolled it across my
pond. I used a few smaller rocks to help sink the netting down - it didn't
need to go all the way to the bottom. So basically, it went from one side to
another about two feet below the surface. Then I just sat where I usually
feed the fish. The Oscar was, as usual, the first to show up to be fed. I
lifted up my end of the net and had him.

Voila!

Old 26-07-2004, 11:03 PM
San Diego Joe

[...]

Fall - Rush Aster_7379.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 18-10-2009 11:12 AM
Asters - Rush-Aster_7181.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 25-09-2009 11:45 AM
Lawn Mowers - Tune-ups, Repairs [Free House Calls in Raleigh] BEAT THE RUSH james North Carolina 0 02-03-2004 01:43 PM
Pickeral Weed vs BV Chagoi Ponds 2 09-11-2003 10:46 PM
Pickeral Weed BenignVanilla Ponds 3 08-11-2003 04:42 PM