Old 18-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default tomatoes have curled leaves and yellow spots

Penelope Periwinkle said:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:57:27 -0500,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

The upward rolling of lower leaves is not a disease.

Never had a spit! thrip problem, huh?

Doesn't mean you should steer people wrong. Leaves that
curl up lengthwise, like a boat, are usually a sign of spit!
thrip damage.

No, I haven't had thrips. But the information I have in hand says
the the "[g]rowing tips are usually severely effected." My guess
is that most of the people who have tomatoes with lower leaves
rolling up (and don't also complain about distorted tops) merely
have tomatoes expressing the 'wilty' gene. Thrips

My sympathy on the thrips and spotted wilt. They are a big problem
in much warmer climates than mine.

(I have onion thrips myself -- at their worst when the weather has been
very dry.)

(attributed to Don Marti)