Old 18-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Rick

Default Pond is Looking Good But!!!

I have my pond up and running for two months now. Everything is falling
into place. The water cleared up very nicely, after I increased my
Bio-filter with some lava rock. (Some advice I got from the group) It is
now crystal clear and I can see the bottom and my three small Koi and six
goldfish with ease. I ordered a kit that had ten bushels of oxygenates,
five floaters (water lettuce), three water lilies, and six marginal and bog
plants. First problem! The marginal and bog plants where not identified ,
so I put them in at best guess. They don't seem to be doing so well. I
panted them in an aquatic plant soil from Lowes. It doesn't seam to be soil
at all but very fine gravel. I did not use any fertilizer. Do I need to ?
also the names of the plants where written in cursive and very sloppy. I
went on the net to several aquatic plant suppliers but could not fined
them. Here are the names or should I say my best guess. BLACK KIRSHT, GAR
ROSH, WHITE PICKARD, BENJAL TIGER, INPERIAL JUNO, RED STAR TULHUP, If
anybody recognizes any of these and knows how to (Water depth) plant them
Thanks. Second problem. Blanket weed or at least I think that it is. In
the past week some of the plant stems and bigger rocks develop a green halo
around them. it is very fine and if a try to grab it by hand I get almost
nothing between my fingers. The dead Blanked weed or algae floats to the
top more and more every day. I skim of what I can. It is also around the
roots of my water lettuce witch dose not look so good ,the leaves are a
little yellow and I think something is eating on them. Last question!
Snails? is it a good idea to put snails into the pond? Some people say yes
others say they just become a bother. Thanks for all your help in the past
I think I have finally found my hobby. It is just so relaxing to sit on my
porch in the morning and hear the water fall and look at all the flowers
blooming in and around the pond, it is truly Devine.