Old 19-07-2004, 06:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default What kind of life can a 50 gal pond support?

Hi Jo,

I'm in 7a, and I've maintained life in a 40 gallon stock tank year round.
600 is excellent, you'll need to use a stock tank heater in the winter
since it above ground. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:10:28 GMT, jo wrote:

I have a 600+ gallon raised structure made of stone block I was thinking
of making into a pond, but decided instead to get a 50 gallon rubbermaid
type insert for the structure since I wasn't sure the block structure
was sound enough to hold the weight of all that water. My question is,
Is it possible to maintain any type of animal life in that size pond?
The pond will have a 170 gal/hour pump and filter attached to a
"spitter" type of ornamental fish as a water feature.

Anyone have any luck with such a small pond and maintaining animal life
in it? This is zone 7b. Thanks for your help.
jo