Old 14-07-2004, 01:12 PM
jo

Default What kind of life can a 50 gal pond support?

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Hi Jo,

I'm in 7a, and I've maintained life in a 40 gallon stock tank year round.
600 is excellent, you'll need to use a stock tank heater in the winter
since it above ground. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Very nice job on the ponds and the website, Jan! Looks wonderful. I
came home from the library with a half dozen pond books to read today
and I hope to come up with something viable. If I can get it to look
half as good as the photos in the books, I will be quite happy. Thanks.
jo

Old 14-07-2004, 01:13 PM
jo

Sean Dinh wrote:
25 gallon aquarium with

3 5" koi.
2 7" koi
2 4" GF

used a 218 gph pump feeding a 5 gallon bucket TT.

The main criteria is to feed very little.

Yikes, that's alot of fish per gallon. Now I have to go look up what a
bucket TT is!
Bucket T
Found her in a barn in Tennessee
I paid five bucks for my Bucket T...
The Who

Ok, that wasn't it...
jo, thinking there's more to this pond stuff than I thought

Old 14-07-2004, 01:14 PM
jo

jammer wrote:

*Hi, i have a 70 gallon pondlet and have raised the toad population BIGTIME in 2 yrs.,
*have had the same 2 fish for 2 yrs. and one lucky guy for 1 yr. I only have plants and
* no pump or filter. I did buy a double bubbler for a 50 gallon aquarium and it works really well.
*Now i have a large boney bullfrog that i think someone must have released around here.

What is so cool is the teeny baby toads hopping around the pond. They
aren't the least bit shy and will sit on my finger as long as i want
them too. They stick within a foot of the water and can be viewed any
time of day. Too cute to me. Of course now i have plans for a bigger
one.. The small one gave me some experience and now i need more space
for all the new critters. There used to be little geckos all over but
i think the toads thinned them out. I saw 2 snakes moving while
entwined once out there.

This is also 7b, i think. Near fort worth, tx.

Hhmm, I do have alot of geckos at the moment, but I like them! Also a 4'
black snake that is not too shy hanging about. I was hoping the pond
creatures would like to eat some of the mosquitos we have so many of
around here. I think I'm beginning to see a trend here, ponds growing
larger as time goes on I'm in Alabama, high heat and humidity here.
jo

Old 14-07-2004, 01:16 PM
zookeeper

No, not The Who, but a bucket Trickle Tower. If you google rec.ponds, you
should get quite a few messages describing them and some links to web sites
with instructions, pics. If I had another small pump, I'd build one but
maybe a little larger than 5 gal.
--
Zk
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

"jo" wrote in message
. ..

25 gallon aquarium with

Old 15-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Sean Dinh

Characteristics of TT:

bio filtration - good.
aeration - good.
mechanical filtration - poor

TT does not excell in any single characteristic of a great filter. However,
the combination of 1st and 2nd characteristics is quite good for a simple
filter. Further enhancement is possible by the addition of a swirling
separator. This would require a taller bucket, or the use of 2 buckets.

Old 16-07-2004, 05:03 AM
jo

Sean Dinh wrote:
Characteristics of TT:

bio filtration - good.
aeration - good.
mechanical filtration - poor

TT does not excell in any single characteristic of a great filter. However,
the combination of 1st and 2nd characteristics is quite good for a simple
filter. Further enhancement is possible by the addition of a swirling
separator. This would require a taller bucket, or the use of 2 buckets.

Thanks for the explanations. I kept cichlids some years back in a 60
gal tank, but keeping fish outdoors presents entirely new challenges. I
never did have much luck with the open cell foam filters and that's what
I've got with my pond set up. (I used a Bio Wheel with the cichlids,
kind of a paper paddle wheel type filter with great results) Interesting
to see what works for others with the various set ups.
jo

Old 19-07-2004, 06:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi Jo,

I'm in 7a, and I've maintained life in a 40 gallon stock tank year round.
600 is excellent, you'll need to use a stock tank heater in the winter
since it above ground. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:10:28 GMT, jo wrote:

I have a 600+ gallon raised structure made of stone block I was thinking
of making into a pond, but decided instead to get a 50 gallon rubbermaid
type insert for the structure since I wasn't sure the block structure
was sound enough to hold the weight of all that water. My question is,
Is it possible to maintain any type of animal life in that size pond?
The pond will have a 170 gal/hour pump and filter attached to a
"spitter" type of ornamental fish as a water feature.

Anyone have any luck with such a small pond and maintaining animal life
in it? This is zone 7b. Thanks for your help.
jo

Old 21-07-2004, 05:06 AM
jo

Sean Dinh wrote:
[...]

Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)? gar_newbie Gardening 5 25-03-2009 09:20 PM
Can DIY CO2 do a 150 Gal Tank? Dr_No Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 01-07-2005 06:07 AM
newbie help - new 50 gal pond jel Ponds 5 01-07-2003 07:44 PM
tree on life support Ablang Gardening 1 16-06-2003 11:20 PM
advice wanted on building 10,000 gal koi pond Dennis Ponds 5 02-04-2003 08:56 AM