Old 19-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Chookie

Default place your 'poo' in order of preference

In article ,
"Margaret" wrote:

Just wondering........................... is one any better than the other,
especially for natives?

Chook Poo
Cow Poo
Pig Poo
Horse Poo

I wouldn't use any of these on natives -- I use blood & bone or a slow-release
fertiliser for natives. I have heard (don't know if it's true) that chook poo
is high in phosphorus, which will kill off any proteaceae (eg banksias).

*Fresh* chook and cow poo (and probably pig) are "hot" and very good for
starting off your compost heap, though they will burn your plants if applied
directly to the garden. Of course, in the big smoke, you can't GET the fresh
stuff -- it's all well-rotted, if still a bit stinky. (If anyone knows of
another way to start compost heaps, or a nice place to get fresh cow/chook
poo in the middle of Sydney, I would like to know about it).

Horse and sheep poo isn't as well digested or as nitrogenous as the above
kinds, and can be applied directly to the garden. The down side is that it
can contain undigested weed seeds, which will germinate all over your garden.

The other issue is price. Cheap manure is good manure!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet